Can I used Rockwall insulation in a stud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you might of seen in my previous post I have converted half of my garage into a games room / office so will only be using it now and then. I was planning on using celotex for the insulation but have been put of by the cost.

The room is 4 m x 3. The back wall is single brick with cavity insulsation, one side wall is connected to the house and the other side wall is joined to a neighbours garage. I am planning of plastertboarding both sides of the wall that is going to divide the garage. The stud thickness is 100mm all round.

Would rockwall be ok to use or should i pay the extra for celotex ?

New build house if that helps.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any kind of fibre-wool will be fine (Rockwool is a brand). You can either use the roll type which you will have to staple/nail etc along the top edge to prevent slumping or use the stiffened "batts" which stand upright but are twice as expensive per m2.

Put a vapour-barrier ( poly-sheet) behind the pb (office-side) to prevent condensation or alternatively buy foil-backed pb.

I use loft type insulation that comes in roles. it gives good sound and heat insulation.

Rigid boards are great for heat but rubbish at sound. They also seems to be more expensive.

I build one half of the wall, including the plasterboard.

Cut the role with an old saw at the spacing of your uprights.

remove the wrapping from the role you have cut then unwind it to the top of the open the role and then staple to the top.

The noggings are cut out with a carpet knife.

then the plasterboard is put on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back