Can I varnish a fire moulded door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a brand new fire door in my kitchen. As the other door in the kitchen, a pine one, has been varnish 'antique pine', I wanted to varnish also the fire door to be the same.
But I read on the instruction of the supplier that it is ready for paint or stain. What about the varnish then, isn't it the same as a stain?

I have a lot of difficulties to find a paint that would give a nice colour 'honey' like my other door. The paint samples I tried looks orange and not naturel at all.
What if I take off this kind of white stuff (is it a primer?) on the fire door to reach the wood under and then put the varnish?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if it is a moulded fire door, it will not be made of wood. the outside will be particle or fibre board and a flat brown colour under the paint with no grain.

you can get fire doors with a wood veneer but they are a lot more expensive.

Ok, I did not know that.

What can I use then to colour it? Paint only? What kind?

Also, can you tell me what is the aim of this white stuff on it, is it something like a primer to protect it?

Sponsored Links
I'm not entirely sure but if you contact Tor Coatings technical team I'm sure they will be able to help

Tel: 0191-410-6611

Hope they can help

Ian

the white coating is going to be a primer so you can paint it.

In that case, shall I use a paint for wood or for plastic?

I am a bit confused because I have been told a bit further up that a moulded fire door is not wood!

Thanks.

The outside will be MDF or similar, so you can use wood paints. The existing primer should be OK if you use ordinary undercoat and gloss (or satin etc)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back