Pine door staining - colour matching with danish oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Redecorating the house at the moment and have a bit of a quandary.

Due to some doors not being fitted correctly by previous owners a couple have to be replaced (B&Q unfortunately but can’t afford to replace them all).

The doors are pine and the existing colour seems to be an aged but dark pine (probably originally antique pine) but can’t tell what stain.

Anyway, my question is basically how do I go about getting all these doors to match in colour? I have tried ronseal stain on both a sample of the bare pine and existing stained pine and they don’t match, I don’t really fancy sanding 7 doors down if I can help it and don’t want to go darker if I can help it.

Previously stained doors are not varnished/lacquered and I don’t believe they are even sanded!

I have read on here that Danish oil is fine for doors and that would be my ideal solution but would this stain well on top of the pre-stained doors? Presumably without sanding they won’t match the new doors?

Thanks in advance
Pete

Sponsored Links
it sounds like a lottery trying to alter the old doors, surely doing a bit more testing to get the new doors to match is a better idea. Danish Oil is fine but remember if if dries in too light you can simply add another coat but if it's too dark or the wrong tone your screwed as you can stain over it again.

Thanks for the info.

Is there an easy way to tell what type of stain the existing doors have?

Maybe I should save up for new doors!

You can test a piece of pine with various danish oil/dye colours [danish oil is available ready mixed with dye] you should be able to get something similar.
I would suggest the antique pine or light oak. Danish oil requires bare wood.

Sponsored Links
your best bet would bet to get a french polisher round to colour match your door if not try a few sample stains .but dont oil the doors as you will not be able to change the colour if it is not right. if you use a vanish at least if you dont go to dark you can add not coat to achive the right finish

Thanks for info!

Well after ALOT of sanding the doors are now back to bare pine, although still slightly stained. I have to say I quite like the effect (almost tortoise shell) so will probably be coating them with clear matt varnish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back