can new gas fire be fitted on pre cast flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have bs5440.
I've searched web and its either £200 or not supported on windows phone.
I need it to check about pre cast flue installation.
A local firm took out old fire and said that they can't fit fire to existing pcf because opening to small?
Opening of actual flue block is 200 x70.
builders opening 565 x415.
And termination is ridge vent
????

Sponsored Links
Which fire are you fitting? What do the MIs say?

Lots of old pre-cast flues around that were often a bit dodgy even years ago.
I would feel inclined to go with the companies opinion, after all they are rejecting business and have nothing to gain from advising you not to replace it.

200x70 is 14000mm. The minimum allowed for precast flues is 16500mm, and no dimention that makes up the cross sectional area should be less than 90mm.
The person who advised you was spot on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys
Fire hasn't been chosen yet

TCCHeating cheers for csa2

What options are there left for gas fire?
Electric.........NO
Power flue.....NO
Ballanced......NO
Flueless ???????
Gas inset??????

Bearing in mind that the pcflue is not sufficient cross sec. Area.
It ****es me off that a flue purposefully built in a home 30 year old ,can be condemned.
What ideas does anyone have?

Electric...yes
Fanned flue...yes
Balanced flue...yes (as long as its on an outside wall)
Flueless... I'm not a big fan of them safety wise. You will prob need a permanent air vent as well

There may be some gas fires available for your flue size but you'd need a good supplier who can advise.

You presumably have central heating?

If so then why do you want to fit an inefficient ( c. 25% ) gas fire?

Why not just fit an electric fire with the lamps and make it just "look" like a coal fire?

Tony

Not too keen on flueless apart from safety issues they must increase condensation and you need a dirty great hole in the wall to make 'em safe, might as well forget the fire and save the draught! I can remember my old Mains Rippon the bedrooms above used to run with condensation till we booted it out!

My mother wants gas fire and won't compromise.
People tend to stick to what they know, and I can see her point.
You can get some lovely electric fires, but I don't think you can beat a gas fire,even if there inefficient.

Do you think there could be a manufacturer that makes a class2 fire that'll fit and be safe?

Do you think there could be a manufacturer that makes a class2 fire that'll fit and be safe?

Robinson Willey still make gas fires (88% efficient) that can be fitted to precast flues BS1289 1975 (the original BS 1289, 1975 stated "...provided cross sectional area of flue is 13,000 mm2")

http://www.robinsonwilley.co.uk/assets/pdfs/brochures/sahara-lf-fitters.pdf see page 7
Also
http://www.robinsonwilley.co.uk/assets/pdfs/brochures/visa-fitters.pdf See page 5

Flavel under the name BFM Europe also make high efficiency fires that may be suitable
http://www.bfm-europe.com/index.php...re=15&fueltype=1&chimney=11&pageno=3&pagefix=

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back