Can open reach drop wire be run to middle of house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Originally the telephone drop wire ran to the master socket in the centre of the house along one of the exterior walls under the eaves. I've just completed an extension that now means the drop wire it running inside the house to the master socket which is still in the same place. Here's a little diagram:

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 15.58.22.png

I want to keep the master socket in the same position so that just one wifi router should cover the house however I'm pretty sure I can't just bury the part of the drop line that runs inside the house under plasterboard as what happens if they need to replace it or something. What could be done here? Could I just fit an external junction box where the drop wire is attached to the house, then run my own cable from there to the master socket in the centre? I wonder if open reach engineers would be ok with that... I'm quite happy to buy my own master socket and wire it up.

Sponsored Links
I dont think they will know or care as the obligation is to bring the wire to the house, so the risk is yours. If its superfast broadband it will be 5G ready so unlikely to need replacing for decades afaik.

Blup

what will happen though when OR need to run fibre to your house when you get upgraded to fibre and the current drop wire for the phone line is redundant
if you can run a conduit from the original entry point to the master socket location they will usally run the fibre in that to the middle of the house. and dont forget that the new fibre connection box (ONT) inside the house will need power as will the router (as present)

You can do what you like with that existing copper wire. But within two years (unless you live in a remote area) it will be replaced with a fibre from the same pole.
Openreach will want to terminate that fibre on the nearest wall, although you may be able to discuss the exact location at the time. On the inside of that wall they will fit the ONT. From the ONT you will have an ethernet cable, which you can run anywhere in the house to which you can mount your router. That cable route will be your choice. If you are thinking of hiding a cable behind plasterboard, it's a Cat6a ethernet cable that you need to be running.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back