Disruption to decoration if new master socket installed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in an old 1920s house, and do not want to disturb the decoration and outdoor wiring too much.

I currently get the basic fibre broadband where my broadband does its last stretch down the telephone wire. I have modem running on a slave telephone socket in a separate room, extended from the room in which the master socket is located. It does not make any difference to its speed. The extension from master to slave is done with the old white telephone wire (with the ringer wire disconnected) on the outside of the property.

I am thinking of upgrading to the faster full fibre broadband. But I am told that it will involve replacing the existing old-style master socket for a modern one, and putting other devices in the same room as it such as a gateway modem and then a smart hub (or something similar).

Currently, the old master socket is sitting there tidily, with the entry wire from outdoors under painted wallpaper.

Photo attached.

How much disruption to the decoration will installing a new master socket (and all of the extra gear) cause if it is done in the same room as the old style master socket?

How easy is it to get a big provider such as Talk Talk or BT to locate the Master Socket elsewhere? Much of their customer contact now seems to be on generic push-button web pages, where you can't really state what you require.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2590.JPG
    IMG_2590.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
if you are getting full fibre ie fibre straight to the house then the old master socket will be redundant as you will also get "digital voice" and your phone plugs into the back of the router not the master socket. the fibre is connected internally to a box known as an ONT and your router plugs in to it the modern ONTs are about the same size as a master socket and can be put anywhere (within reason) in the house but usually on an outside wallScreenshot (103).png

this is a newer ONT and the cable with the green is the fibre the red is the cable to the router and the white is the power, so you will get some disruption to decorations as a hole is needed to bring the fibre in

Last edited:
Many Thanks! Very Helpful! That gives me a lot to think about - not least because there is not a mains plug close to my existing master socket. I'll have to have a think about what to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back