Changing master phone socket? Openreach or generic brand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been doing an extension on an old house and now it's time to get the internet sorted. The current master socket is basically antique and needs replacing. I'm aware this is the property of Openreach and there may be consequences but I'm willing to take the risk. Anyway, what master socket should I put in. The latest and greatest from Openreach, or any generic one?

Secondly, I'm planning to add a slave socket which will be used for the modem in a more central location in my house. Would it be best to get a master socket with an ASDL filter faceplate and extend to the slave, or filter it at the slave socket?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Secondly, I'm planning to add a slave socket which will be used for the modem in a more central location in my house. Would it be best to get a master socket with an ASDL filter faceplate and extend to the slave, or filter it at the slave socket?

BT don't make them, they buy them in stamped with BT. So just buy the one you need, Likely an NTE5c Mk4 with ADSL filter built in.

Best performance is achieved by minimising your internal wiring to the Master, and wiring from there, from your router with twisted pair, but the difference will not be great if any. For wifi coverage, your router may need to be in the middle of your home, so that may take precedence.

Thanks.

Another thing. Where the drop line comes into the house there is an old BT52A junction box from which a twisted pair cable runs to the old master socket. If I want to replace that twisted pair cable, what should I go for? Some CAT5? The junction box I'll replace with a new BT78A I think.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Another thing. Where the drop line comes into the house there is an old BT52A junction box from which a twisted pair cable runs to the old master socket. If I want to replace that twisted pair cable, what should I go for? Some CAT5? The junction box I'll replace with a new BT78A I think.
I don't see a difference between CW1308 and LAN cables the pair's in both are twisted. I do see a difference if the existing internal cable is the old BT/GPO standard (Bl/Or/Gr/Bn colours) as the 4 wires are loosely twisted as all 4 together.
If you only intend to use one pair in the LAN cable then CAT5 is OK. If you want to use more pair's then use CAT6 and earth the screens at one end (only!).

Better to always use what an Openreach engineer would use, then it will be indistinguishable from one of their engineers work. BT do not maintain any records of work done. Use a bit of gash CAT5 and it will be obvious someone has interfered with their property.

i always thought that as bernard said cw1308 was best for internal wiring as the twists are less twisty?? than cat5/6 and there are at least two pairs in cw1308 at least and sometimes more. and ashary says using the proper phone cable doesnt make it obvious its a diy job

Last time I had BT move a master socket (as part of a FTTC install, before FTTC self install becamse a thing) they used a weird 2 pair CAT5.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back