4 Slave BT Phone Sockets off 1 Master Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just moved into a new build house and it has a phone socket in every room. The master socket is in the living room which is working fine. There are 4 other slave sockets in the house which I tested and they aren’t working.

I have opened the master socket and there are 2 main wires, one of which is connected to the socket which I guess is why that socket is working fine.

What’s the other unconnected wire for? I guess this would be to connect to the other slaves?

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Bob

Sponsored Links
newsites should have 2 cables in the back of the master socket....take off the faceplate on the master socket and there should be one cable terminated on terminals 2,3 and 5....the other cable will be the feed on the back of the master socket but you say that is working fine....see the site agent who will get it rectified

And get them to swap the front face plate on the master for an adapted filtered socket whilst they are sorting it---then you are fully ready for broadband.
Check that the internal cabling has been done with telephone cable and not alarm cable, too.

hi, if you open the slave sockets are they connected? its quite simple to do yourself, if it wasn`t part of your purchase to have them connected. if they were suposed to be working i`d get your agent to sort it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies.

We don’t have a site agent now.

I opened up one of the slave sockets upstairs and it seems to be wired. See image below, does look correct?

Bob

IMAG1474_zpsf3e1a695.jpg

There should be two cables in each terminal. Push the orange and blue which are hanging loose back in to 2 and 3.

No it is not fully wired, and what is done is untidy.

The blue and orange left floating need to be punched down, if that cable is the one from the master socket it will explain why none of the slave sockets work.

Use the correct tool. NOT a screwdriver which will damage the connector and make the connections un-reliable.

After you punch them down you MIGHT find the master socket no longer works. If it does stop working then somewhere there is a short circuit on the internal phone wiring and the connection was not made ( or un-done ) by the builder to cover up that the cable has been damaged. If so remove them again and get the builder to sort it out.

Thanks for that, what are those green & white wires wrapped around the two main cables at the top of the photo?

Oh I will get one now.

I will check all the rest of the slaves and make sure they are wired the same.

One other question about the master socket. As mentioned before it has 2 main white cables coming into the socket but only one cable/wires have been terminated. The other cable has just been pushed to the back of the socket. Would this affect all of the other slave sockets and could also be the reason why they wouldn’t work?

Should the wires from the second cable be terminated the same as the other cable?

If it is an NTE5 master socket the telecoms wires will connect into the back of the main plate, your side connects to the removable portion on the front.
Can you upload a pic?

Here is a photo of the main socket.

4_zps59eb053f.jpg

Here is a photo of the front plate which has no wires attached.

5_zpsb7c63bdd.jpg

The unused cable behind the master socket needs to be connected to the front part of the NTE 5.

Put it through the large square hole in the back part and re-fit the back part to the wall.

Remove the outer sheath of the un-used cable to expose the 6 wires.

Punch these down into the connector on the back of the removable part.

No need to remove the insulation from the coloured cores as the connector cuts through the insulation to make contact with the wire.

Blue with white stripes into 2
Orange with white stripes into 3
White with orange stripes into 5
White with blue stripes into 4

Refit the front part.

There seems to be a lot of dust on the back of that NTE 5, is there a draft coming through that hole in the wall ?

Don't do anything with the spare wires in the cable whose blue and white wires are connected to screw terminals on the back part of the NTE 5

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back