tel. master socket and broadband

mnb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a telephone master socket with a broadband splitter plugged in:the splitter is taking broadband and a landline phone.
1. is there some device whereby i can also plug in a "junction box" for tel extensions? Or do i have to start connecting inside the master socket?
2. can i perhaps use a cordless phone with this set-up?
3. there is also a round, black coloured old fashioned looking ringer next to the master socket, it's cable is not connected to the master socket - is this ringer irrelevant or a potential difficulty?

Sponsored Links
Plug-in ADSL filters / splitters are only designed to supply ringing current to one telephone, so adding 'plug-in' extension wiring after the filter might stop your phones from ringing.

A replacement ADSL filter like the one Lectrician linked to is the most satisfactory way of doing the job. Installation is quite straightforward. Those filters will support 'plug-in' extension wiring. Connecting wiring directly to the extension wiring terminals is also straightforward, and, for my money, a tidier looking job.

If you fit a 'plug-in extension kit' before your filter, you will also need a second plug-in filter at your extension socket, and the extra wiring may reduce the available ADSL speed.

I recently tidied up an installation with multiple extension sockets and plug-in filters, replacing them with a single NTE5 adaptor, and the ADSL speed leapt from about 1.8 Meg to over 7 Meg.

thanks both of you guys. For your prompt and expert replies.Food for thought.

Where do cordless phones fit into my present ser-up? Can they?

Sponsored Links
bigger version of what was recomended
314437190_tp.gif

phone in phone socket router in the other
extension wiring goes onto the numbered connectors on the back, 2 and 5 from memory
hard wired filtered broadband is on AB if you want to extend it from the master (not needed if router is next to master)

extension wiring goes onto the numbered connectors on the back, 2 and 5 from memory
hard wired filtered broadband is on AB if you want to extend it from the master (not needed if router is next to master)

And terminal 3 if you want your phones to ring. (don't listen to folk who says it doesn't matter, they know nothing!).

It is also considered good practice to terminate the other pair used as the ringer on terminal 3 in the unused terminal 4.

It will for some phones, but not all.

Not connecting it is wrong - plain and simple.

Once you have an ADSL filter as linked to above at the NTE5, terminal 3 may become necessary again, as you will have eliminated the 'plug in' filters that generate a local ringing circuit for each individual phone.

It is good practise to terminate the unused terminal 4 through the wiring, balancing conditions in the twisted pairs of the cable to reduce interference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back