Customers broadband does not work after master socket moved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A polish spark moved a master socket on behalf of a client but now his broadband does not work (I am in his IT services provider). I have inspected the work and it seems the spark had put the mains junction box for the some plug sockets in the same box as he joined wires to the master socket where he extended. I pointed out this is dodgy and the mains frequecies are probably stopping the broadband working, apparantly he has now moved the junction some where else but still no broadband? Any ideas? There is no extensions and I have tried it from master test socket.

This is not a computer/router issue there is just no broadband there.

Sponsored Links
A bit of mains interference probablly won't have much affect on broadband unless it is already marginal. Broadband uses much higher frequencies and deliberately leaves the low ones alone (so they can be used for voice).

What kind of junction box(es) and cable has this polish spark used to move the master socket? what is the wiring layout like?

Didn't get that far, when I tried to open the box saw all the live wiring and closed it, he had used what looked like 30amp junction boxes for mains but didn't get to see the junction he had used for the telephone.

The voice works perfectly but are you suspecting the fault might be in the way the wire is joined?

i'm saying it's perfectly possible for a cable type and/or junction type to be ok for voice but have very poor performance at the frequencies DSL uses.I wouldn't expect this to break dsl link normally (DSL is surprisingly robust) but if things were already marginal it may well do so.

Also I woiuldn't consider it beyond the realms of possibility that the cowboy has somehow incorporated a DSL filter incorrectly and put the DSL modem on a filtered link.

Also does incoming voice work? BT cable has multiple pairs and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the cowboy somehow ended up connecting the guys phone point to a different line.

Assuming incoming voice works (e.g. you are sure you are connected to the right line) my first suggestion would be to connect a master socket direct to the incoming BT cable before any junction boxes and see if the DSL works from there. Then you have a base to start troubleshooting from.

Sponsored Links
I am a computer engineer so am familier a bit with BT sockets (have wired my own extensions in my own house etc). I have removed the faceplate from the master socket and there is two wires coming in to the normal A and B points.

I have then tried my own microfiler from the test socket (by removing the test plate on the master socket) and still no luck. All he has simply done is extended the original socket that comes in from the line by joining the two wires together how he is done this I am not sure due it being in a mains box.

Either way the fault is there is no broadband connection now getting to the master socket if that makes sense?

This could be a heap of trouble for your client.

Is this a private house or a commercial premises

First check you are on the right pair. Dial 17070 and it should tell you the number you are connected to. When you have the number hang up. Do NOT try any of the options for further testing.

Have you tried the modem connected direct to the incoming BT pair without any filter ? ADSL filters keep the ADSL signal out of telephones. Modems themselves ignore the speech and signaling tones from the telephone service.

Now the possible bad news. Accidently flashing mains onto a telephone line is NOT a good thing to do. That is why mains and telephone cabling should be kept apart. Avoiding mains hum is not the prime reason. Safety of equipment and engineers working on the cable networks is the reason BT require adequate separation between mains and telephone wiring.

If the there was an accidently flash of mains onto the telephone wiring then the telephone equipment at both ends is quite likely to have survived. The ADSL equipment piggy backed onto the telephone line at the exchange is less robust and may have been damaged. If the clients modem / ADSL equipment was connected that could have been damaged.

Mains can quite easily knock ADSL out, some Christmas tree lights at my sisters managed to do this. Personally i'd try the master back where it originally was and avoid all the wiring the spark has done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back