2 Master sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

My Broadband speeds are cr@p and I think it relates to the fact I have 2 master sockets.

The house was completely renovated in 2012 and wired from scratch. At the time the spark told me he was fitting two master sockets & I thought nothing of it as he must know best, right?

Anyway, the cable enters the property at a window and the spark has then run two cables from the junction box and up into the attic. These then go off into a study upstairs and a dining room downstairs. I don't fancy re-running these cables! (At the very least it would involve taking up carpets & floorboards!)

Is there anything I could do where the cables are accessible in the attic, such as install a master socket & junction box up there and reuse the existing wiring? Would I need to replace the face plates?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Put one master in place of the junction box and fit two slave sockets !

Should have said; the junction box is on a bathroom window-ledge! It's fairly discreet so wasn't moved during the renovation. The cables from that go immediately behind panelling and surface again in the attic...

so, could I cut the cables in the attic, wire a new master up there using only one input cable from below, still using the existing wiring to the sockets? Then do i replace the masters in the house with slaves?

Would using a slave socket to hook up a modem impact the broadband speed much?

How many cores in the junction box out going ? If it's a 6 core ( 3pair ) you could send it down to which ever master you wanted , then use 3 of the remaining cores to backfeed to the junction box and back out to the slave ...

Sponsored Links
If it's a 6 core ( 3pair ) you could send it down to which ever master you wanted , then use 3 of the remaining cores to backfeed to the junction box and back out to the slave ...
Or put a junction in the attic to feed back from whichever master to the other jack, then you'd just be using one pair out of the existing junction box. That might be easier if the existing junction box doesn't have capacity for splicing 3 pairs.

Either way, for best DSL performance you want to put a filter at the master location where you want the modem and use the filtered output to feed to secondary, and make sure that the incoming line runs directly the the master/filter without any bridge taps.

The best option ( as regards speed for Broadband ) is separate Broadband and telephone service so that the internal telephone wiring cannot affect the broadband signal.

BroadBand signals that travel along an internal dead end ( just a phone with a micro filter and no hub ) reflect back along that wire and arrive at the hub as an echo of the main signal. These echos confuse the hub and the data rate is automatically lowered to reduce the effect of the echos.

This is achieved by having one master socket ( NTE 5 ) and then replace the front plate on this master with a filter plate which provides two outputs.

1/ a filtered service to all your telephones
2/ an un-fliltered service to you BroadBand hub / router / modem.

All your phone sockets can then be connected to the filtered service from the front plate with complete freedom of layout and wiring. Take a single pair from the un-filtered ouput to the Broadband hub.

If it's a 6 core ( 3pair ) you could send it down to which ever master you wanted , then use 3 of the remaining cores to backfeed to the junction box and back out to the slave ...
Or put a junction in the attic to feed back from whichever master to the other jack, then you'd just be using one pair out of the existing junction box. That might be easier if the existing junction box doesn't have capacity for splicing 3 pairs.

Either way, for best DSL performance you want to put a filter at the master location where you want the modem and use the filtered output to feed to secondary, and make sure that the incoming line runs directly the the master/filter without any bridge taps.

Not 100% sure what you mean here. It helps my simple mind to draw it! Is it the 'Alternative Option' shown in the attached? if so, I don't want to do that as it would have to take a pretty convoluted route between the two sockets. (round a room, down a hall, down two flights of stairs, one more hall and round another room) I think it would need about 25m of cabling and I hate seeing cables.

I think the option of adding another junction in the attic is the one to go for as it means I can reuse the existing wiring, which is 6 core. What's the best way to wire a backfeed to the junction and out to the slave? (pictures that my tiny mind can understand would help here!;))
tel.JPG

And in Bernard's revised drawing you could place the new master/filter combination in the attic. With the 3-pair cable you have, you could also run voice & DSL down to one of your existing points if you need both there; just use the blue/white & orange/white pairs for voice as at present, and use the green/white pair connected to the unfiltered side of the line to a separate jack for your DSL modem.

Another filter option I used to use often before leaving Britain was the XTE-2005 from ADSL Nation:

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

I always found that filter very effective, and was often dealing with marginal lines 4 or 5 miles out from the exchange,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back