Can Potterton 15HE boiler flue be modified?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the situation where (due to having just become an unpaid foster carer), we urgently need to fit a conservatory on the back of our small house. We have a Potterton (/Baxi) Promax HE15, 5 years old, fitted to our kitchen wall, with standard short 3° angled horizontal concentric flue. I've tried asking some local CORGI guys whether they could modify the flue so it can go through the conservatory roof. I'm receiving conflicting information about feasibility, and about parts required, which is not helpful. :confused:

We have the Potterton Flue Guide, and have Baxi/Potterton part numbers from the HE15/24 Installation Manual. It looks like we need:

Bend Kit 93° (pt.no. 241687),
Straight Extension Kit, either 250mm (pt.no. 241692)
or 500mm (pt.no. 241694),
Clamp 110mm (pt.no. 243014BAX)
(Vertical flue terminal pt.no. 242802)

We are aware that Baxi/Potterton use these parts on many different boiler installations. We know we must get a certified CORGI man to do the job, but ideally need to keep costs down by buying the correct parts online, for him to fit.
Positive advice or experience, really appreciated, :) thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Can't really comment about the feasability of the works proposed (perhaps Potterton could help?) but I would be wary about buying the parts for the installer to fit. If the parts are wrong you could be faced with a) extra costs in possible waiting time charged by the installer whilst you sort out the right ones and b) not being able to return the parts as they were supplied to your order correctly. Also, you do realise that the boiler may well have to come off the wall to modify the flue. Far better to find an installer to do the whole job including selecting & supplying the parts and if they are wrong it would be down to him.

Also there are specific dimensions that must be adhered to in relation to the termination point of the vertical flue which, in your case, may not be able to be met.

Thanks for your reply.
It's not possible to even talk to Potterton technical people unless (as people say on other threads) you are CORGI. If you phone, the first thing they ask for is your CORGI reg. no.

Sponsored Links
Ideally you should resite the boiler elsewhere in the house so that the flue position terminates outside the conservatory space.
Be wary of anyone altering the flue as you stated, issues with clearances, support and heat resistance of the conservatory roof would need careful consideration. Not saying it would be impossible but it would definitely look ugly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back