Can someone explain my hot water system?

RJD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an oil-fired combi-boiler and a punp that fires up whenever a hot water tap is turned on (whether or not the boiler is on). I've noticed that the shower has some sort of pattern about when it's hot (not often) and when it's tepid, but I just can't work out what that pattern is.

Generally, we can get a decently hot shower for only a couple of minutes - even though the water in the basin tap will still be scalding. It's a thermostatic mixer.

There is some sort of tank in the attic too.

Pressure (it's all spring-fed) is good for cold and hot throughout the house.

I'm sure this is simple to those in the know, so forgive my cluelessness.

We're about to have a new bathroom installed and I'm reluctant to have an expensive shower fitted if we can only ever have hurried showers!

Sponsored Links
I have read the list of suggested things to cover and I have covered them (except for the make of boiler which is a Worcester/Bosch - though this isn't really relevant).

I'm after a general explanation of how this sort of system works. Oil-fired combi boiler, pump that powers up whenever a hot water tap is turned on and a shower that gets cool within minutes even when the water from the taps is hot.

Didn't like your tone!

Yes, why on earth would your make and model of boiler be relevant to answering your question?

No doubt my reply will seem a bit off key? :( [/i]

Sponsored Links
This does sound a little odd. Your shower cartridge might be faulty. My shower became gradually less effective until showers were mostly tepid. I replaced the cartridge which took just ten minutes and now we have our wonderful hot as you like for as long as you like one back!

I can see no other logical explanation.

I got my cartridge here and they allow you to send it back if does not do the job! They are generally expensive - mine was £85 for a Triton Combi mixer shower (at the end of the day the cartridge is pretty much a complete new mixer part).

I have read the list of suggested things to cover and I have covered them (except for the make of boiler which is a Worcester/Bosch - though this isn't really relevant).

I'm after a general explanation of how this sort of system works. Oil-fired combi boiler, pump that powers up whenever a hot water tap is turned on and a shower that gets cool within minutes even when the water from the taps is hot.

Didn't like your tone!

A little bit of humble pie dosnt go a miss especially when you are looking for FREE advise/help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back