Intermittent hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hot water system has developed a strange fault. We have a pressurised system with no cold water tank i.e all taps fed mains cold water.

When using the hot water taps (all baths sinks and showers) in the upstairs rooms we get a few seconds of hot water and then it runs to a tepid temperature. Meanwhile the taps downstrairs run hot with no problems. The boiler is obviously heating the water and it is getting to the upstairs taps as they do run hit for a few seconds but why are they not staying hot?

Any help greatly appreciated, please do not subject me to another cold shower :)

Sponsored Links
The shower or bath mixer (or tap) upstairs is letting cold water go across to the hot, internally.
First thing, wiggle any temperature controls from end to end several times to clear limescale.
Otherwse, new cartridge, fit non return valves, or new mixer.

Thanks Chris,

Your idea makes sense in terms of cold water crossing into the hot supply however what still confuses me is why this has happend to 5 sets of mixer taps and 2 showers in one day. Could your theory be therefore happening further up the chain, before it gets to the taps and if so where should I be looking?

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back