Can someone ID this drain outside the kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had builders around to start taking up the decking to replace with a patio and discovered this. It looks to be blocked but connected to the kitchen drain as whenever the kitchen sink drains, water comes out the top of this.

That said, the kitchen waste is connected to a pipe that runs internally in the kitchen.

Is this meant to be a soakaway for the old patio that was there?

7C4Zv7v

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks like a gulley, if water rises then you’ve likely a partial blockage. It may have been an older gulley for the kitchen waste, or perhaps a combined sewer and took the rainwater.

Thanks Chris. If I don't want it, best to get a plumber in to relocate it? Any way of working out if I actually still need it?

If there’s nothing connected to it, then I’d say you don’t need it. Yes by all means a plumber, or someone who deals with drains.

Sponsored Links
Given your description, that is probably a 'Back Inlet' type gully, there will be a pipe coming off it, through the wall, and into the kitchen to pick up the sink waste. If the gully is overflowing then it is blocked, and needs cleaning out, has possibly been overflowing for some time, only not been noticed.

Afraid you certainly cannot get rid of it, it appears to have been damaged, but you may still be able to get a sealed lid for it if you dont want an open gully in your patio.

Thanks for the info Hugh. I have had another look under the kitchen sink and I think you are right, where as I had assumed the waste ran under the kitchen it makes more sense it is working the way you described - difficult to tell because this house has a lot of pipes under concrete!

Definitely been overflowing for some time, hidden by the god-awful decking that was there previously. Still can't believe someone would just deck over something like this!

I've got Dyno-rod coming out next week to unblock it. Wondering if it makes sense to remove it and replace it for a new one? Or just unblock and have a lid for it?

after cleaning out the trap below the upstand you could find the nearest manhole and send some rods up from there. it might do the trick and save on Dyna-rod ripp offs

after cleaning out the trap below the upstand you could find the nearest manhole and send some rods up from there. it might do the trick and save on Dyna-rod ripp offs

One Dyna-rod callout would pay for numerous sets of rods and maybe a jetter of your own.

As above, they are not called Dyno Rob in the trade without reason, if you want to save yourself £150 odd, read on.

Get yourself a pair of rubber Gauntlets before doing anything. Then, if you lift the grid out the gulley, you will probably find a black insert, like a large funnel, this forms the trap to seal the gulley off from the drain. If you can remove this, you might then find the water runs away ok down the outlet. If so, bale out as much water as you can, and you'll probably find a load of black, stinking gunge in the bottom of the gulley. Remove this, either with the ladle or is a wet vac available, even better. Replace Insert, and job's a good un.

Yes, People do put decking over gullies, (and Manholes), then claim they dont know or they dont exist, leaving the poor devil trying to unblock the system, scratching their heads or trying to unblock a run they simply cannot get to....

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I do appreciate them.

In the end I went with Dyno-rod, mainly because I already had drains cover with my gas and electricity this year so it was an excess payment of £60.

The guy who came out was quite good to be fair. He tried drain rods and a plunger but there was a fatberg somewhere under the house. In the end he used a jet and camera to clear the blockage... certainly not equipment I own!

For what it cost me and the same day service, I can't really complain.

Anyway, thanks for the contributions (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back