Open outside drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Not sure whether this is the right section for my question but here we go....

I have an open drain in my garden just outside the kitchen window in which the waste from my kitchen sink and appliances are directed. The drain consists of a pipe coming out of the kitchen wall leading into a hole in the ground.

Now I have two questions:

1. the drain is currently blocked because a builder put a lot of waste products (plaster etc.) directly down the hole and now it gurgles and smells slightly. i have removed everything I could but it is still not 100% clear. What else can I do or do I have to call a drain company?
2. I would like to build a patio outside my kitchen window. (it is really the only position for it in the garden since the garden is very small). Is there a way of covering the drain? i.e. connecting the pipe firmly to the hole or so? I don't want to have my bbq area next to a waste pipe..... or can one redirect it? if so is this a major job? very expensive? Who would do something like that? A plummer? my utility company? builder???
Thanks in advance ---- rather lost here....

Sponsored Links
Any decent builder or plumber should be able to dig the existing gulley out and replace it with a new plastic version, (assuming it isnt already). This can then be fitted with a screwed down, sealed lid and the waste pipe rerun into a boss on the side. Day or 2's work at most.

For now, if you're brave enough, get a decent pair of rubber gloves and scoop put any detritus left in the bottom of the gulley pot. (A wet and dry vacuum can be used to remove most of the water if available.)

Hi

smells slightly. i have removed everything I could but it is still not 100% clear. What else can I do
Thanks in advance ---- rather lost here....
blast it with a karcher pressure washer -if you can get hold of one - Any drain co. will do basically that - but @ 2000psi. and charge accordingly. ;)

Sponsored Links
blast it with a karcher pressure washer -if you can get hold of one - Any drain co. will do basically that - but @ 2000psi. and charge accordingly

Excuse me NigeF.................we use 3000psi :LOL:

You can get an attachment for Karcher that is special made for drains, check their website. It's a good tool to have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back