Can someone tell me how to fit these lights?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
Taylortwocities";p="1813268 said:
Is this in a kitchen or bathroom if it is then you need to notify this work as it comes under special locations. So you either have to notify the local building control or get a scheme approved electrician.

Is that true, in Scotland?

Never saw the Aberdeenshire part, why is this post not in outside the UK electrics :LOL: As they seem determined to be.

Won't be Part P then will it, Thank TTC

Sponsored Links
How do I connect the second light to the first one if both fly leads for the first light are being used?

Just daisy chain them all.

Take the original lights down, pull back the T&E to where you want the first light to go and wire this in. Then wire some extra cable (I use 1mm T&E) from the first light to the second, then from the second to the third and so on.

Make sure the lights are well away from any beams or joists. They said 100mm which is usually dead centre between the two. These lights get VERY VERY hot. Eventually you might want to replace with LED.

What do you mean 'just daisy chain them'?

Another poster told me to connect the TE coming from the ceiling into a junction box then to connect the first light to the same box, then the next and the next...

But...once the first light is connected to the first junction box with both fly leads, how can I connect the second light? Both fly leads from the first light are in the first junction box, surely?

Sponsored Links
It's obvious you haven't got the foggiest idea of how to go about this safely and I suggest you leave it to a competant Electrician....

yup... 2 t&e's in one side, flex out the other

So I take two of the three TE from the cable hanging from the ceiling and put them into the chocblock? Are you absolutely sure? That really doesn't sound right but if you're sure it's safe for me to do that I will.

That isn't correct!!!

Doesn't anyone know how to connect down lights to the mains?

It seems like I'll have to start again.

There are 3 white mains cables coming out of my ceiling where my single down light was. Three. They've been joined together with a plastic junction box to produce one live, one neutral and one earth.

I have 6 down lights. Each with 2 fly leads. Two - fly - leads.

Who can tell me how to connect them in sequence? I need to know with a link to a picture, what junction box to attach to the live, neutral and earth and how to 'daisy chain' the down lights.

Okay, I admit I'm struggling.

The room is a lounge. I'm on the ground floor of a flat and I don't have access to the room above.

Which indicates that the room above is in a different flat.

Your ceiling has to be a fire proof ceiling. That means it must contain a fire in your lounge long enough to ensure the floor above does not collapse before the people in that flat have had time to escape. The plasterboard is the first line of defence protect the joists above the ceiling. Put a hole in it and the defence is weakened.

So anything that affects the fire proof nature of your ceiling has serious implications to you and the people above you.

Yes I know, it's fine, I've had it checked.

Who can tell me how to connect them in sequence? I need to know with a link to a picture, what junction box to attach to the live, neutral and earth and how to 'daisy chain' the down lights.

You have failed at the first step because you seem to want to just wire those cables dangling down to your new lights.

This is a fire hazard! You need to pull those cables back to a different location on the ceiling.

You do realise how much heat spotlights produce? You are going to end up starting a fire if you are not carefull

I haven't 'failed' at the first step because I haven't even started yet. I've come on here to ask for help and for someone tell me how to connect them in sequence.

I'm perfectly competent provided people on here give the correct advice and give it clearly. The whole purpose of these boards are to give help people who need it.

But it seems there are too many on here who secretly take delight in knowing something that someone else doesn't and rather than giving assistance, they seem to enjoy teasing and deliberately being vague so the original poster becomes confused and is more likely to injure themselves or others.

When a user asks how to connect ceiling lights being told 'just daisy chain them' is completely meaningless to them.

I've noticed that it always seems to be on Electrics UK section that other posters start playing games and laughing and teasing. It's immature and irresponsible.

Surely there must be an adult on here who is knows how to fit down lights in sequence and is intelligent enough to provide a few simple steps how to do it.

YOU'VE BEEN TOLD ALREADY!

GET AN ELECTRICIAN IN!

If you don't know what daisy chaining means then you should not do this job yourself!!!! People ARE helping you and are being the way they are because they don't want you to kill yourself.

Do you even know how and where to drill the holes (assume you have a 65mm drill bit)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back