can split plywood chairs be repaired?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a set of 8 classic "ant" design plywood chairs with stainless steel legs (seat and back made out of one piece of bent ply)

Anyway 2 seem to have "gone" at the curve of wood between the back and the seat, the ply layers look like theyve slightly come apart, making them dangerous to lean back on as they bend to far back with a cracking noise!

i think Im right in saying they are made to this shape with pressure treatment, does this mean theres no way of repair. ?

any help advice suggestions appreciated...

Sponsored Links
They are indeed made by glue laminating under pressure (and normally heat or radio frequency) round a curved form. If the delamination is at the ends it my be possible to repair them using the appropriate glue, G-cramps and curved cauls (shaped clamping blocks) - if it is in the middle, i.e. a void has opened-up, then it is almost impossible to effect a repair which won't reopen in time. The glue type used often is UF (urea formaldehyde) or RF (resorcinol formaldehyde). If you could post a pic it might help

Scrit

i am having exactly the same problem with possibly the same chair!
few layers split open at the same area, but not completely gone. split is inner curve where the pressure point is...
considering to start with injecting powdered resin glue into the damaged area, but not sure if it is better to go polyurathene as suggested... final option i can think in my tiny head is to glue the plit, then completely re-lay the surface with veneer, and finish with lacqure, but not sure what glue is appropriate with layering veneer and seem i am less quipped.
can i possibly use latex??? its easier and not smelly but never used one on wood laminating, specially this sort of purpose.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back