Can Stud walls be structural

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a chalet style house, bungalow to most people, but my darling wife insists I call it a house.

My planning has been refused to extend the dormer at the front of the house to give me a larger bathroom, now my only option is to extend into the roof void. The bathroom will not be as large as I wanted and the ceiling will slope, he! ho!.

I have looked inside the roof void and exactly where I want to build my new stud wall for the extended bathroom is a purlin supporting the roof. This is fixed into the outer wall at one end and the wall of the dormer at the other.

My question is can I replace the purlin with a timber stud wall and how should it be constructed, size of timber etc. etc:confused: :confused: :

Sponsored Links
Stud walls can be structurally supporting but they do require adequate foundations, as in timber framed buildings.

Cheers Noseall my first reply to my first problem, only joined this evening.

So it should be OK. I'd planned to pin two floor joist together stick them in the wall at one end and the other end into the I beam which supports the dormer wall. Then build my stud up, should I have a header plate or just attached the studs to the individual roof joists :?:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back