can timer of extractor fan work with integral pull switch, not light switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I've just replaced a wall extractor fan which was operated from the light switch and had a run-on timer.
It was a simple replacement, the new fan being a Vent Axia Quadro with run-on timer.
The one relevant difference is that the Vent Axia has an integral pull switch.
According to the instructions wiring diagram, the fan can be operated from the light switch using three core, which was already in place.
I've tried it and it works perfectly, including the timer.
But I would prefer to use the integral pull cord, not the light switch, so I disconnected the switch live from the SL terminal in the fan and sleeved it out of the way.
Now the fan works from the pull cord, as required, not from the light switch.
The problem is that the timer does not work.
Is there a solution, apart from re-connecting the switch live?
I'd be grateful for any help.
Someone mentioned linking the permanent and switch live, but I do not know what that means.
Cheers, Laurence

Sponsored Links
If you want it to work by the pull switch but to run on with the timer then you will have to wire the switch between the permanent live connected to its terminal and the switched live terminal.

Leave the switched live from the light switch disconnected.

Hi. Thanks very much for that. I'll do it the way you said, or try to. Not sure what's involved, though. Unless you mean that at the terminal block in the fan I should connect a very short piece of wire between the L and the SL terminals. That is, one end of the wire would be in the same terminal as the permanent live wire, if there's enough room; and the other end should be in the switch live terminal, where it will be the only wire. Thanks again

Last edited:
Unless you mean that at the terminal block in the fan I should connect a very short piece of wire between the L and the SL terminals.
No, you must rewire the pull-switch so that it forms the link.

Post a picture so we can see all the wires in the fan.

Sponsored Links
Hi. Thanks for going to all this trouble. Is it a photo of the terminal block circuit board that you want? Or should I disassemble the fan to expose the internal wring? Thanks again. Cheers, Laurence

Hi. Here are the photos. Hope it helps. Thanks again. Laurence

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 415
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 390
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 421
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 371
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 420
Hello again. Thanks very much for that.
This is what I understand from the diagram.
I remove the two black wires from the black pull switch ( they are screw fitted, by the way) and I tie them out of the way, because they won't be used.
I replace them with two short wires ( properly colour coded) from the terminal block.
The one on the right will be from the SL terminal, where it will be the only wire.
The one on the left will be from the L terminal, which will also house the permanent live of the feed cable.
The N terminal of the terminal block will house the neutral wire from the feed cable.
The switch live wire of that cable, and its earth wire, will be tied safely out of the way.
That is brilliant! I even understand it up to a point.
I'm very grateful to you.
Merry Christmas and all the best.
PS. I can't even begin to understand how you managed to turn that photo into a diagram in the way that you have.

Yes that's right.

Make sure that all the unused wires can't touch anything else.

Thank you - same to you and yours.
:) It's magic - and Windows Paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back