wiring a neon pull cord switch for extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a bathroom extractor fan. Its works by a humidistat, a timer , a pull cord switch on the fan (when pulled comes on for the duration of the timer) and a on/off pull switch by the door.
Currently it is wired from the lighting circuit. It has a live and neutral from the lighting circuit to a double pole isolation switch with 3amp fuse (as recommended by Silavent) on the outside above the door. As far as i remember this then goes to a junction box with then a perminent live and a neutral going to the fan and a feed off the live to the on/off pull switch (like a light switch)which then goes to the switched live on the fan via the junction box.
i want to change the on/off pull switch for one with a neon light so we can tell it is on or off. The only type of on/off pull cord switch i have been able to get is like an isolator switch with live in/live out and neutral in/neutral out connections.
How is this wired? If from the junction box the live goes to the live in/live out and becomes the switch live to the junction box then onto the fan what about the neutral? It needs one at the switch to operate the neon light. Does the neutral from the junction box go to the neutral in, then from the neutral out to the same connection the neutral came from originally or do i connect the neutral to just one side of the switch, either neutral in or neutral out?
Hope this is understandable. Thanks

Sponsored Links

Run the neutral to the 'neutral in

Connect the 'permanent live' to the live in and the 'switched live' to the live out

The neutral will have to be double-insulated from the JB to the switch, best way is to replace the cable with a 3c+e variety. Don't 'forget' to sleeve and connect the earths

(main switch off, at your own risk, get a pir done etc)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back