Extractor fan in downstairs toilet off pull-cord light cct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am attempting to install a timed extractor fan in my downstairs toilet.
I am looking to run it off the pull cord controlling the halogen lights in the room.
It is a 4" Manrose model 15927.
The halogen lights/pull cord are connected via a junction box and as such appear to have 1 x live and 1 x neutral at the pull-cord switch, with the other wires connecting directly to the halogen lights. Previous posts have stated that this is a bona fide connection method.
The forums I have looked at so far suggest using a 3a FCU and 1 double pole switch. I have the FCU and double pole switch and have attempted to wire in the light and fan. I can't get the 2 to work.
With the double pole switch in situ, the fan works fine Ieven the timer works which suggests the switched live works to the fan) but the lights will not work.
When I remove the double pole switch and replace with the original pull-cord switch the lights work fine.
The DP has 4 terminals - Live/Neutral from supply & Live/Neutral to load.

I am guessing I need to change the way the halogen lights receive their power from the lighting ring circuit but am reluctant to do this unless there is no other way as it would mean taking up carpet/floorboards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Sponsored Links
ok...

you DO NOT HAVE a live and NEUTRAL at the light switch, you have a live and switched live.
you do not have to change the way the lights recieve their power..
you do not have to use a 3A fuse..
you DO have to use a 3 pole fan isolator..

put the original switch back and stop messing with it, it's fine..

you need to find the light where the live and neutral feed, as well as the live and switched live and the link to the next light is ( it will be the one with 3 or 4 wires attatched, not the ones with 2... )

now use 3C+E to connect the live, switched live, neutral and earth to the fan..

this is notifiable work under part P of the building regulations..

please use the WIKI to look up part P and look under lighting for info on how a switch works and how to fit a fan..

It is a downstairs toilet, so most likely not notifiable.

Where did you get the previous advice on this forum? Sounds like you either mis-interpreted or where told dodgy info.

You are over complicating things with FCU's and DP switches.

Do as described above. It really is a simple job :D

Thanks for the quick reply guys but still need a bit more help.

As stated in my original text the light is a spur off the main lighting circuit using a junction box (not ceiling rose light), therefore I have the following:

At switch.... 1 x live, 1 x switched live, 1 x earth
At first light 1 x live, 1 x neutral, 1 x earth

As per the following Wiki wiring for single way via junction box
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting

The following Wiki instructions for installing a fan also shows via the rose.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:fan

Hope you can help finalise the solution. :)

Sponsored Links
that simply can't be true...

at least one of the downlighters JB's will have the live feed, switch wire and link to the next light..

it makes no odds whether you have a JB or a ceiling rose, the principal is the same..

ColJack, of course you are right. I was only counting the wires into the first light.
Does this mean I connect my 3C+E to the light and leave the switch well alone? If so I have wasted 15 quid buying stuff I didn't need (lesson well learned).

Just to clarify I understand it correctly.
1. Leave the switch as it was.
2. Connect the FAN to the 1st downlight using 3C+E with a 3pole fan isolator between the downlight and the FAN.

There is not much room for additional wire connection to the 1st downlight. Can I connect the wires using a chock block?

Thanks for your continued assistance/patience.

So to clarify, at the first light....

Brown terminal in = permanent live
Blue terminal in = switched live
Brown terminal out = permanent live (again)
Blue terminal out = neutral
Earths obviously stay the same.

Is that correct??? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back