Pull cord switch to Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present when i turn my bathroom light on the ceiling mounted extractor fan turns on. When turned on, the light switch powers the fixture which then powers the fan.

I am now installing a pull cord switch between the fan and the light fixture to allow the fan to be used when required, not when the light is turned on.

I have the following wire(s) coming from the light fixture connecting to the fan:

1 x YELLOW (switch live)
1 x blue (neutral)
1 x RED (live) timer etc
1 x copper (earth).

My question is simple! How do i wire the pull cord switch???

Sponsored Links
In the exact same way that the old light switch was wired.

It is rather weired for yellow to be permanent live and red to be switched live, are you sure you didn't make a mistake there.

do you want the fan to operate only when the light is on or do you want to be able to turn it off at any timer?
do you want the fan to keep running on timer after you turn the new switch off?

There is no existing switch. I am trying to break the connection between the light fitting and the fan. The light switch is still there i am trying to added an additional switch to turn on the fan only.

YELLOW is SWITCHED LIVE sorry not RED. Its a thick grey cable...

The purpose of having the pullcord is that the fan can be turned on when the light is on if required. (There is no window in the bathroom).

I hope that clarifies things a little.

Sponsored Links
OK, from your switch all you need is neutral and the switched live. Link together the perm live and switched live terminals at the fan. The fan will then run when u operate the switch and turn off when u switch it off.

There will be no timed over-run.

Many Thanks - may i clarify a couple of things!?

This is a 1 way pull cord switch.

Going into the switch (from the light fixture) is the yellow (switched live) and red (permenant live) and the wires coming out (to the fan) are the yellow (switched live) and blue (neutral)?

May be being stupid here but what happens to the other wires? Must they stay connected and bypass the switch?

Any answers to my final question would be appreciated!!!!!

Thanks!

neutral and need to run past the switch to the fan. You may need to cut them and rejoin them with terminal block to get the cable into the switch enclosure.

the permanent live and switched live from the fan need to be connected togehter and to one side of the switch. Personally I would connect them together at the switch end and leave the fan end alone.

The permanent live from the light needs to go to the other side of the switch

The switched live from the light needs to be made safe in the switch box using a peice of terminal block.

If you are determined to fit a switch to the fan (which is crazy IMO) then PLEASE use a proper fan isolator pull switch which is designed for this sort of thing.

The switch you currently have is entirely unsuitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back