extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi ,my brother has brought a extractor fan which was a wall mounted fan with a pull cord switch . after a few months he went to fit it but at that point he realise he had brought the wrong one . he wanted a ceiling mounted fan instead.

i have taken apart the fan a cut off the pull cord switch and put in a terminal block so there is no more pull cord. i have taken the supply off the ring main then to a 3 pole isolator the the power from there to the fan.

ok the problem is .
he wants the fan to turn on with the pull cord light switch in the bath. how is this done?

the fan only has two connections live and neutral.

would it be easier to take the supply from the lighting circuit ? how would it be wired

thanks

Sponsored Links
hi ,my brother has brought a extractor fan which was a wall mounted fan with a pull cord switch . after a few months he went to fit it but at that point he realise he had brought the wrong one . he wanted a ceiling mounted fan instead.
Be careful some wall mounting fans are not suitable for ceiling mounting due to the type of motor bearings and/or backdraft shutters. Check the instructions. Also it will need to be rated for the correct zone of the bathroom it is located in.

i have taken apart the fan a cut off the pull cord switch and put in a terminal block so there is no more pull cord. i have taken the supply off the ring main then to a 3 pole isolator the the power from there to the fan.
Hope you included a 3A fuse for the fan somewhere. Why a 3 pole isolator for live and neutral? I make that 2 pole.

ok the problem is .
he wants the fan to turn on with the pull cord light switch in the bath. how is this done?

the fan only has two connections live and neutral.

would it be easier to take the supply from the lighting circuit ? how would it be wired
Rewire it so that the fan live and neutral connect to the light live and neutral. The fan will only work when the light is on. Fans that run on when the light is turned off are specially designed for this purpose and have another connection for a permanent live. Dont foget to notify your LABC before you start as work in a bathroom is notifiable under part P.

so what you are saying is take the power from the light /ceiling rose. run to a isolator then to a fuse 3 amp then to the fan ?
is this ok

is there any other wayof wiring it which i could use the power from the ring main to the fan?

Sponsored Links
so what you are saying is take the power from the light /ceiling rose.
Yes

run to a isolator then to a fuse 3 amp then to the fan ?
Keep the isolator (make sure it's in a safe area eg outside of the bathroom) you can dispense with the 3A fuse if you wish, although there's no harm in leaving it in for extra protection. (Lights are protected by a 5A fuse or 6A breaker at the consumer unit, so you don't need additional overload protection. The ring circuit supplying sockets on the other hand are connected to a 30/32A, hence the need for a 3A fuse for the fan and its connecting cable)

is there any other wayof wiring it which i could use the power from the ring main to the fan?
There's no other easy way to wire the fan so that it operates with the light ceiling pull. If you're happy to switch the fan on and off manually as required you can use the ring circuit via an isolator and 3A fuse. But you would also need to put the pullcord switch back into the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back