can u screw into wood filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help, a kitchen cupboard door has fallen off (again) and there is wood missing where i need to screw the screws back in, i cant put the screws in somewhere else as the hinge is specific so i need to refill the holes and rescrew into them, ive looked wood filler up on the net but can't find any info as to whether i can let it dry and rescrew into it??? HELP?

Sponsored Links
There are certain products available to fix your problem.If you want to fix back into existing holes then you could use something like araldite 2 part resin......mix a little and apply into holes,insert screws whilst still wet and allow to dry.

HOWEVER,there is a special plate designed for this very purpose(previously discussed on this forum).Im sure someone will be along soon to post a link to said product (jasonb where are you? :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
grinty - this is the beast that Jaffa's on about ...

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?products_id=434&Name=Hinge+Repair+Plate+-+Bright+Zinc

less the a quid each.

HELP! ok so i got these, but am being thick when it comes to fitting them

i have a cabinet with two big holes in where the screws used to go, i can screw the silver plate firmly to the cabinet side through the other 4 holes, fine. but how does the door hinge fasted to the plate, i can put 2 screwes through the hinge and thrugh the 2 holes into the big holes in the cabinet, but so what how does this help????

do i need a nut on the other side of the screw, to holdthe hinge to the plate, but there isn't room HELP!

Ive not used these plates before but by what i can understand the screws should just bite into the metal creating its own thread therefore not needing a nut.

Ive not used these plates before but by what i can understand the screws should just bite into the metal creating its own thread therefore not needing a nut.

well i have the original screws and they just go in and out of the hole dead easily.

The plates with the big round hole are for repairing the doors. I understand you need plates for repairing the hinge fixing in the cabinet.

Woodfit say the hinge is "fixed to the repair plate using the existing euro screws" so they seem to have a standard screw in mind, which they can probably supply. it looks to me as if a self-tapping screw will be needed uness the plate has been prepared with a slight thread. I guess your old hinges have a screw size different to that anticipated by the plate makers.

see if you can get screws to fit in the place you bought the plates. It might involve buying a new new hinges of the same brand. these hinges are usually in standard sizes.

If you have to buy screws separately, a motorists accessory shop or hardware store would have some. take the plates and old screws with you so you can get the correct size and length.

The screws might be the ones shown in http://www.woodfit.com/product_info...lour_match=&Name=System+Screw+-+Nickel+plated though you may need a screw with a round, not a countersunk, head.

The plates with the big round hole are for repairing the doors. I understand you need plates for repairing the hinge fixing in the cabinet.

it looks to me as if a self-tapping screw will be needed uness the plate has been prepared with a slight thread. I guess your old hinges have a screw size different to that anticipated by the plate makers.

see if you can get screws to fit in the place you bought the plates. It might involve buying a new new hinges of the same brand. these hinges are usually in standard sizes.

If you have to buy screws separately, a motorists accessory shop or hardware store would have some. take the plates and old screws with you so you can get the correct size and length.

The screws might be the ones shown in http://www.woodfit.com/product_info...ch=&Name=System+Screw+-+Nickel+plated[/QUOTE]

thanks so much its a releaf to know i wasn't going mad and missing a way of holding them together. the plates have no thread in them so ill look for screws that are a tight fit in the holes

thanks!

grinty - the plates are meant to accept the Euro screws that are common in these hinges (they will have a self-tapping effect on the plates even though the original use of the screw was to bite into particle board). If your hinge screws are 'undersize' or odd (quite possible depending on age/place of manufacture, etc) then just swap-out the hinges (couple of hinges at a DIY shed = a couple of quit).

grinty - the plates are meant to accept the Euro screws that are common in these hinges (they will have a self-tapping effect on the plates even though the original use of the screw was to bite into particle board). If your hinge screws are 'undersize' or odd (quite possible depending on age/place of manufacture, etc) then just swap-out the hinges (couple of hinges at a DIY shed = a couple of quit).

thanks, the kitchen is only 3 years old, but its Now Kitchens so it doesn't suprise me it doesn't work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back