Issue rubbing down wood filler, pls help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have some Ronseal 2 pack wood filler. Recently I used it to fill gaps between skirting on external joints. When rubbing down it was pretty straight forward and looked the part once finished.

Now I was using the same wood filler to fill some screw holes. I left the filler a little proud so that i can rub it down. However when it comes to rubbing down, its smoothen up but you can clearly feel the small patch of filler. Furthermore its not very easy to rub down, I thought it would have been a little more brittle.

Btw i tried rubbing down for a good 10 minutes and eventually got somewhere but it ended up faintly unveiling the screw hole.

Any tips guys?

Sponsored Links
Use a sanding plate with a large surface area, they look like a plaster's trowel. Or just put a strip of sandpaper on a piece of wood.

You can always fill the bulk of the hole with the two part filler and then use a standard filler for the finish.

Hi Bil,

thanks for the reply, I am currently using a sanding block, the mothod of sanding is easy, its just that the amount of effort required to rub down the stuff is excessive in my opinion. I thought it had all the properties of car body filler, but car body filler rubs off much easier.

Do you know of any filler that is easy to rub down i.e. rubs down powdery so that i can finish off these screw holes with such filler?

Sponsored Links
Hi Bil, thanks for the info matey. However I found a much easier solution, one i thought would never work assuming it would damage the skirting

Basically I got my power sander, and used that for the rub down. Bloomen amazing result :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back