can u use bonfire ash on a veg garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am digging over a new veg patch where a bonifre has been for years. i thought the ash could be dug into the soil to save throwing it all away. is this a good idea?

Sponsored Links
I was wondering whether it was worth getting a garden incinerator (metal bin with a few holes and chimney on top) to burn a lot of the woody cuttings from the garden. They never rot down completely, so if I was to burn them that would really help. The 'greens' rot down fine in the compost heap, but the browns (woody stuff) tend not to. Hence, I thought, burn the browns and then mix them with the greens. what my my compost be like?

When Gardeners World did a bit on compost recently they said most people's compost has too much nitrogen because it's normally all grass clippings.
They suggested adding carbon by including more woody stuff.
Therefore ash should be great.

I wouldn't want my neighbours burning stuff...

Sponsored Links
if you can chop or shred the twiggy stuff, you can bury it or use it as a mulch. It rots down slowly. Try not to bury anything big enough to be a nuisance when you are next digging over. Or you can mix it into the compost heap with your green waste and it will be partially decomposed when you spread the compost next year, which is OK.

Ash is rich in potash, but not carbon, as you have burnt it and it has risen into the air as smoke and CO2.

I wouldn't want my neighbours burning stuff...

ordinarily, I would agree, but my house backs onto allotments and they are reguarlarly burning plant waste at this time of year. If I did get an incinerator i would only use it occasionally and towards back of the garden. On the other side of the fence there is no housing, just the allotment plots.

I am a keen recycler and I think there is nothing wrong with an occasional burn up, providing that the materials are appropriate (natural wood!!) and are best disposed of in this way. The worlds gone mad regarding green spirited gardeners getting on with their business.

I put the ash on my compost, and also saw the feature with Mony on garders world.

I am a keen recycler and I think there is nothing wrong with an occasional burn up,

you would if you live round here.

bonfires etc have been banned in Luton for the last umpteen years.

but the council does admit to turning a blind eye on NOV 5th, but as they said, its only because they do not have enough people otherwise they would not allow fires on NOV 5th

What about BBQ ash for compost bins and further use on the garden? Can it be used in liew of "ash" from an incinerator?...just that I was advised not too....

Just wondering...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back