Growing veg in wooden crates?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive never grown fruit and veg before and have decided to give it a whirl. ;) Ive acquired some wooden fruit crates from a greengrocers. Ive lined them with heavy duty rubble sacks and this is where you come in, whats next? What type of compost do I use and which veg. From what Ive read, lettuce would be a good start. Am I too late in the year to try anything else? Im v.enthusiastic but on a tight budget hence the free containers. Any help would be great, thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
growing them in containers means you will have to constantly water them. Haven't you got a garden?

which fruit and veg do you like?
Youre too late for most things now. If youre a salad eater you could be eating youre own rocket in about 4 weeks time and if you let some of it go to seed you'll never have to buy rocket seeds again.
Most veg, can be grown in containers so long as you water regularly. I did some carrots in a bucket last year as they dont do well on my clay soil. They didnt grow very big but they were sooooo tasty it didnt matter!
If cost is an issue - google 'seed swap '. Lots of people are happy to give away / swap their excess seeds.
Good luck! :D

Sponsored Links
not too late, rocket fine, lettuce fine, root veg no, too late, but please have a go next year as well, it's really v rewarding. lets get growing!!

I made the mistake last year of letting mizuna lettuce go to seed. Now its like a rampant weed in my garden! It seeded itself everywhere!

How about some garlic / onions / shallots to put in for over winter? depends how exposed you are. Ive done garlic in pots but never onions.

Thats the great thing about gardening - theres always next year! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back