Leak above wooden window frame

Emma,

In our case we had been quoted for a traditional cavity tray installation but due to the way the wall is constructed it would have been sited above the ledge significantly above the window so I was sceptical if it would have worked and its a much bigger job to install. At least they were able to insert this type of tray much closer to the window opening in this case and below the ledge which seems to catch all the water.

They do provide a 10 year guarantee, with these intermittent issues it takes years to really know. Fingers crossed it was just something minor that happened after such exceptional rain (we had local flooding which Ive never seen before). Certainly the leaks have been bad in past years in similar weather, literally we have line of bowls on the window ledge for days on end. We have had nothing like that since the tray was fitted and there have been several periods of very bad weather.

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
How’s everyone getting on in here? We moved into our 1950’s detached last November and when water started coming in through the uppermost wooden window frame in our downstairs living room I couldn’t believe it. As per nearly all the experiences here:
It’s only with driving rain.
No trade is interested in exploring / coming up with anything anywhere near as useful as this thread.
I siliconed around the window frame thinking that it may have been a breach with the seal….. only to find that now during this current driving rain in 2023, the leak is back. It only looks like drips but the towels we put down are saturated in no time.

I am convinced that it’s coming from above.

The render on the house is smooth but it’s not homogeneous in that there was an en-suite extension built where it was previously a balcony. Despite that, the render does look in good condition.

I am thinking of doing the following..:
1. Get a roofer to inspect the roof to ensure no slipped tiles.
2. Having the window removed, including the top window frame and looking from below. (Excuse my ignorance but is this realistic?)
3. The slim cavity tray sounds like it worked well but I don’t fully
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
understand what work is required to get it fitted (and where does the water actually go?)

Attached are some photos for perusal.

This is making me lose sleep so thanks in advance for any replies.
Cheers
Gareth

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 22

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back