Water leaking through and around window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the recent rain and wind we have a sudden problem with water leaking around a downstairs uPVC window. Initially it was just dripping through the top of the window frame, leading me to suspect the window seal or the seal around the curved piece of wood above the window, but they appear OK so now I suspect the water is coming down the wall cavity.

The thing that puzzles me is how the water is getting from the cavity into the window frame given that there appears to be a steel lintel above the window. Shouldn't that act as a barrier, stopping any water in the cavity getting into the frame?

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

zJJ1RXs.jpg

7vFPnUO.jpg

fTS4Tft.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a two floor house with a conventional tiled roof. The window in question is on the ground floor. There's an identical window (which shows no sign off leaks) directly above it.

We had a slight leak from the same window some time ago during extremely windy, rainy weather. The wind seems to be a key factor.

I think the problem could be further up the wall/house

Sponsored Links
I agree, I think it must be higher up (but don't understand why the window's lintel isn't stopping water getting into the window frame).

The problem only ever occurs during heavy rain AND a strong wind blowing straight at the front of the house where the window is located. Could it be seeping through the outer brick layer to such an extent that it creates a steady dribble of water?

Unless there's a cavity tray fitted above the lintel, the lintel itself will likely pool the water, and when the build ups sufficient it leaks internally.
Was there a leak here before the window was installed (if you know) or are there any pipe runs/basin/or any other, above (even if not directly)?? Close inspection of the external wall/window above that one would reveal something, if the ingress of water is indeed wind-born...pinenot :)

We have exactly the same problem with two front downstairs windows which only seems to occur in high wind and rain. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

Once it had all dried out we redecorated and, on the assumption it was caused by water seeping through the brickwork, over the summer I treated the bricks above the window with a couple of coats of sealant (http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-water-repellent-seal-clear-5ltr/57474).

The sealant just soaks straight in and is invisible, although I recommend spraying it on - I initially tried brushing it on but it's very watery and just dribbled off the brush and got everywhere. I used a cheap pressure sprayer (http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p26690).

We haven't had any problems since, but until we get another prolonged period of strong rain and wind I can't be 100% certain it has solved the problem.

I hope that helps.

It strikes me that the curved brick course above the door ( non protruding) is quite close to the top infill panel above the door/frame. Without a drip channel, this will allow any water running down the wall to turn back in and drip down to the inside, a good polysulphide bead run round here might help...pinenot :)

Okay, so this is an old thread, but some poor soul will happen upon it when the need arises.
Following two days of torrential rain and strong wind my red brick walls have become soaked through. As the water naturally moves down through the brickwork and hits the top of the plastic window frames it has no option but to pour out (inside and out). Imagine placing a wet sponge on top of a plastic window frame and you've got the picture. My plan is to let the brickwork dry through and coat the walls in Bostik Masonry Cream, which I'm sure will prevent a reoccurrence.
Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back