Can Vitamin D help protect against Covid 19?

Sponsored Links
Low levels of vitamin D is quite common. This day and age where we work indoors and use sunscreen, plus in the UK we only have sunlight good enough for a few months a year.. My other half hates 'the outdoors', when we met he even lived with all his curtains shut all day and yes, got vitamin D deficiency, of which I took the pee somewhat. There's not many foods that have vit D in them and sunlight is by far the best way to get this vitamin.

Yes vitamin D can help because it boosts the immune system. That has been known for umpteen years. The key word though is HELP. It can HELP to avoid contact with other human beings but that doesn't mean you will not catch the lurgy.

I've taken vitamin pills for the best part of 50 years. When I was 10 a school dentist decided to modify my bite and took according to most these day took too many teeth out leaving me a bit slack mouthed so had fungal problems in the corners of my lips after having to have a couple more taken out in my early 20's. They wouldn't have been taken out these days. Doctor said blame the dentist. Dentist said diet.I've always eaten a pretty decent one compared with many so started taking multivitamin pills, one a day. Fungus problem went away. ;) Stop taking them and within a months or so it comes back. They need to be decent ones too so just buy from Boots. Others haven't worked out.

:) I tan so quickly people are inclined to think I work outdoors all of the time. Probably due to owning a caravan and using it a lot, walking and fishing as have always had an indoor job. I get some colour in a few hours but sunlight isn't good for skin especially if like me you have had too much of it. It catches up as we get older.

I've never had SAD but know a few that have. ;) Only thing that used to get me down a bit was clock changes so went to work and came back in the dark - more the fact that they change them.

Sponsored Links
The problem is, knowing if its cause or effect. If its a symptom of other problems, like diabetes and heart disease or if its deficiency is a primary risk factor. Pretty hard to study.

The problem is, knowing if its cause or effect. If its a symptom of other problems, like diabetes and heart disease or if its deficiency is a primary risk factor. Pretty hard to study.

That is currently what they are saying about the ethnic death rates and are doing a more thorough study.

Following a question from a reported in one of the briefs they may be doing another - an epidemic in the NHS / Critical workers. She also mentioned care homes. Suggests we have 3. NHS, care homes etc and the general population. All different. NHS goes back to what they have said earlier - not sure why people are getting infected. They recently found several asymptotic ambulance drivers. All they have said previously is may have caught it outside. I suspect most if not all of the extra testing is being used up in this area. :( Info of use in terms of poor PHE as well. :) Or improving that area - where to wear masks etc.

Very tricky to prove taking a substance and it having a causal link to a condition without double blind testing etc.

Very tricky to prove taking a substance and it having a causal link to a condition without double blind testing etc.
It's even harder than normal for Vitamin D as we can produce it ourselves, does drinking it in milk or taking pills make a difference or is it something to do with sunbathing?

Vitamin D is one of the few supplements that seem to be a good idea for a large chunk of the population though. There is, ignoring Covid-19, actual evidence that Vitamin D supplements are good for you and that's almost unheard of for vitamin pills. (Some pills seem to make you worse, beyond just making expensive urine)

Pretty sure we don't have a good level in our milk - something to do with what we do to it before it hits the shops.

According to some sources, almost half of Americans , and a fifth of Brits, are vitamin d deficient.

Which can lead to soft bones, fatigue, high blood pressure, depression,......

In our latitudes, the required uvb (to synthesise it) doesn't penetrate the atmosphere for almost half of the year. So, you really need to get it from diet, or supplements.

But, given the general public's generally poor diet choices, I can well see how a good proportion of people are defined as vitamin d deficient.

As already said, darker skinned people need more sun to synthesise it, than those with lighter skin. What I've also read, is than those over 50 don't synthesise it as efficiently as they used to, hence food or supplements are the way to top it up.

snapshotimagehandler_1444909909.jpeg

Canned sardines in oil 5.0 micrograms per 100 grams Vitamin D

Sponsored Links
Back