Can wall track be plastered invisibly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Consider a 10/12cm wide track which is cut from the ceiling to floor on a lath & plaster wall to access pipes. Afterwards I could then glue back in 10/12 cm long lath sections to adjoin the laths which remain in the wall.

I could then put on a coat of primary plaster to just below wall surface.

Consequently I could get a professional plasterer to put on a finishing coat of plaster and then I could emulsion the entire wall afterwards.

If this is done, do you think the track will still be visible? I just wondering whether I should have the full lath/plaster wall removed then boarded/plastered afterwards to avoid a visible track line.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
..... or you could use a heavily-patterned wallpaper to disguise any slight surface discrepancy.

Consider a 10/12cm wide track which is cut from the ceiling to floor on a lath & plaster wall to access pipes

OK sounds attractive as a "route" but?

There is always a BUT??

If you consider the mechanics of a Lath & Plaster wall, it relies on the matrix of timber [horizontal] Lath fixed to the [vertical] studs which are in turn fixed to the masonry wall, with the plaster over all.

If you introduce a vertical "cut" which affects all of the laths, the wall will become unstable on each side of the cut away Lath, you could try to introduce a further [vertical] restraint but? not all that easy, especially when the plaster crumbles when you put a screw into the plaster, through the Lath into the "new" vertical stud??

do you think the track will still be visible?

Short answer is unfortunately Yes.

Ken.

Short answer is unfortunately Yes.

Ken.
If that's the case it's probably best to remove both the lath and plaster from that side of the wall then have the full wall boarded onto the studs and plastered to give a clean finish.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Possom, good evening again.

Two possibilities that I can imagine?

1/. [not great] form a duct out of ply / mdf on the external face of the lath and Plaster?? in effect a mock pillar??

2/. Depending on cost and outcome? remove the existing Lath & Plaster and if it is an external wall re-fit using "modern" metal [vertical] studs and install insulated plasterboard + loose slab insulation with the pipes, suitably insulated + concealed

A vapour barrier will be advisable between the rear of the insulation and the inner face of the wall.

Just a consideration??

Ken.

Last edited:
2/. Depending on cost and outcome? remove the existing Lath & Plaster and if it is an external wall re-fit using "modern" metal [vertical] studs and install insulated plasterboard + loose slab insulation with the pipes, suitably insulated + concealed

It's an internal non-load bearing wall. I may remove the lath and plaster, retain the existing timber studs then have plasterboard screwed onto these then subsequently plastered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back