can we change to a combi?

Sponsored Links
DD said:
If you want backup have an in-line instant electric heater.

Please tell us where to buy one more than 7kW?
Then we can look at its size, cost of electrical installation and see if it's better than a cylinder!

Thats handy. If you wanted to wash the dishes then you could just extend the shower hose with some extension piping to the kitchen sink. :rolleyes:

..or just use the dishwasher ? :rolleyes:

In the average modern house the dishes washer has a heater, as does the washing machine. There are kettles too for a basin wash and kitchen use. Only the shower is missing when a combi breaks down. Heat? A cheap 3kW fan heater can do one room. That is why backup is never regarded as that important in the average British home.

An in-line instant electric heater that the kitchen tap and showers(s) run though will give all you want.

If you want full CH and DHW backup then a heat bank/thermal store and well sized immersions will do the lot.

DD said:
If you want backup have an in-line instant electric heater.

Please tell us where to buy one more than 7kW?
Then we can look at its size, cost of electrical installation and see if it's better than a cylinder!

You have obviously never even thought of it. Even Screwfix sell one at 9kW for £99, and most major electric suppliers. It is for temporary backup, not full backup. Look at the electrical suppliers. Many are on-line.

An Ethos two bath combi and one these instant heaters take up no space at all. Or you could have cylinders and plastic tanks that could scald your family to death in their beds.....and take up lots of space and cost more to install....and eventually leak and stain ceilings.

Sponsored Links
An Ethos two bath combi and one these instant heaters take up no space at all.

also
.......giving instant DHW for ever.

Both questionable inaccurate statements.

Or you could have cylinders and plastic tanks that could scald your family to death in their beds.....and take up lots of space and cost more to install....and eventually leak and stain ceilings.

Sounds like you are a combi salesman whose business is on hard times so you resort to scaremongering.

An Ethos two bath combi and one these instant heaters take up no space at all.

also
.......giving instant DHW for ever.

Both questionable inaccurate statements.

Or you could have cylinders and plastic tanks that could scald your family to death in their beds.....and take up lots of space and cost more to install....and eventually leak and stain ceilings.

Sounds like you are a combi salesman whose business is on hard times so you resort to scaremongering.

You made that up.

OSO Un-vented cylinder. 25 year guarantee i think. No stained ceilings or combi, which do have their place in the market, just not my house or any house with 2 or more bathrooms in my opinion. Not sure whether to post or not, getting scared i might be forced to fit combis forever. :LOL:

OSO Un-vented cylinder. 25 year guarantee i think.

If you prove annual service history, which costs..and they can do this:
http://www.waterheaterblast.com

No stained ceilings

So these cylinders and controls don't have water in them then.

or combi, which do have their place in the market, just not my house or any house with 2 or more bathrooms in my opinion.

Your opinion is clearly flawed as combis can do three bathrooms as well.

Not sure whether to post or not, getting scared i might be forced to fit combis forever. :LOL:

You would be better getting to know the products available before you make rash statements.

Doctor Drivel said:
Or you could have cylinders and plastic tanks that could scald your family to death in their beds.
How many families have been scalded to death in their beds?

Uninknoewledgable :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Some unknowledgeable people can spell the word!

I was wary of the 108.5% efficiency. It sounds as full of it as Dr Drivel.
I looked it up on boilers.org.uk and found that it has a sap rating of 90.3%
A Ravenheat CSI system boiler gives you 90.7% Turns out that they also are indulging in this net efficiency convoluted bo¬¬ox. But I will stick with the SAP rating which to me means that if you spend a pound on fuel you will get 90.7p worth of heat from it @ 90.7%.

When Ravenheat introduce their new energycatcher a cylinder will again become the norm and a twin coil cylinder preferable as this will allow for solar pre-heating. This energycatcher robs the fumes of the last dregs of heat and uses them to preheat your water so you will still be able to attain high flow rates. It robs so much energy that the flue gases will no longer support water vapour = Goodbye to steam trails. The effect on the SAP rating will be dependant on how much hot water you use and the time of year that you use it.
If you want energy efficiency then I would hang on a bit and see how it performs. IMO theres no moving parts and little to go wrong so it could be worth a sniff.
Details are not available on their website yet but if you ring or email them then they might send you the info. Ballpark price was £400 with an expected payback of just two years but to bring this into perspective it requires the installation of an unvented pre-heat storage cylinder.

If you just want to save money and have less downtime while your boiler gets fixed then I would do your sums taking into account your maintenance costs and cost of installation over the life expectancy of the new boiler. Then use the SAP ratings against your fuel bills to see how much money it will cost you to go combi. Unless you forecast a saving of at least the installation+extra maintenance cost over the ten years lifespan of modern boilers then just stick with what you have. My ballpark figure for a cost effective saving is £400 a year.

[/quote]
This water heater blast web site that gets put about gets really boring, firstly I could make a combi boiler or a thermal store blow up if I removed all of its safety features and put it under extreme conditions, as has been done on this web site, secondly it is an american web site, thirdly it was carried out in a field, if you can show me a situation where this has happened to an unvented cylinder in a house in the UK under normal working conditions, I will agree with you, if not, be quiet and stop scaremongering.
oi

OSO Un-vented cylinder. 25 year guarantee i think.

A million to one chance of exploding, you may need to do some research before you make rash statements

No stained ceilings

So these cylinders and controls don't have water in them then.

:rolleyes: No tanks in the loft brains

or combi, which do have their place in the market, just not my house or any house with 2 or more bathrooms in my opinion.

Your opinion is clearly flawed as combis can do three bathrooms as well.

Your opinion is yours and mine is mine, facts speak for themselves

Not sure whether to post or not, getting scared i might be forced to fit combis forever. :LOL:

You would be better getting to know the products available before you make rash statements.

Not to sure why you quoted that. I think you will find it an opinion not a rash statement. Go back to school if you do not know the difference

Doctor Drivel said:
Or you could have cylinders and plastic tanks that could scald your family to death in their beds.
How many families have been scalded to death in their beds?

We have an imposter named Dr Drivel not the real Doctor Drivel. Beware of imitations Get the real thing.

billy bob";p="798415 said:

This water heater blast web site that gets put about gets really boring, firstly I could make a combi boiler or a thermal store blow up if I removed all of its safety features and put it under extreme conditions, as has been done on this web site, secondly it is an american web site, thirdly it was carried out in a field, if you can show me a situation where this has happened to an unvented cylinder in a house in the UK under normal working conditions, I will agree with you, if not, be quiet and stop scaremongering.
oi

Just as well it was in a field, as the house would have crumbled. ..and they do crumble when of these go up. Wow a whoof!!!! One of those in house? Mmmmmmmm.

An American web site??? Is the world different over there? Different air, gravity, etc? Wow!!!

Uninknoewledgable :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Some unknowledgeable people can spell the word!

I was wary of the 108.5% efficiency. It sounds as full of it as Dr Drivel.
I looked it up on boilers.org.uk and found that it has a sap rating of 90.3%

Not bad at all.

You have never heard of 108% efficiency in heating?

A Ravenheat CSI system boiler gives you 90.7% Turns out that they also are indulging in this net efficiency convoluted bo¬¬ox. But I will stick with the SAP rating which to me means that if you spend a pound on fuel you will get 90.7p worth of heat from it @ 90.7%.

Are you serious? Ravenheat. The FIAT of the boiler world. All they ever do is leak. Total scrap!

When Ravenheat introduce their new energycatcher a cylinder will again become the norm and a twin coil cylinder preferable as this will allow for solar pre-heating. This energycatcher robs the fumes of the last dregs of heat and uses them to preheat your water so you will still be able to attain high flow rates.

A pre-heat top box? Nothing new and they are "expensive"

but to bring this into perspective it requires the installation of an unvented pre-heat storage cylinder.

That rules them out then. Tell then in Leeds to go thermal storage. Much better, much more efficient and doesn't take down the side of your house. They were never that bright at Ravenheat!!!! Such cheap scrap!

What a sad post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back