Replacing old Baxi with Combi, Do we need all new pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We currently have a Baxi Bermuda back boiler, with cold/hot water tanks, which is 25 years old.

We'd like to replace this soon with a Combi system and are about to start asking for quotes.

We also need all new radiators, since some of the existing ones are leaking.

Will we need to change all the piping, since the new radiators will be in the same positions? (The existing pipework is the old fashioned wider guage).

Sponsored Links
This is really down to inspection which is not possible on an internet forum. We all have opinions but at the end of the day why not get two opinions from local installers who have eyes and ears?

I could similarly say, my car has some rust in places, do I need to replace it?

The only way to determine if you need new pipes is to do a pressure test; the boiler and tank are isolated, and the system is pumped up to 10 bar. If the rads are dodgy, they will have to be disconnected and bridged. Bit of a job to say the least.
One thing is pretty sure: if your system has rotted away so far that the rads are actually failing, there will be an unbelievable amount of debris in the pipes that will kill your new boiler if it is not properly cleaned.
Get a magnaclean included in the quote.

Sponsored Links
You won't really know if there will be any pipe work or joint leaks until after the system has been flushed with a good chemical cleaner.

This could well wash away any scale or crud around a joint and reveal a slight leak.

Ideally if your replacing a very old install then it would make sense to strip out the lot and replace it. I accept in these straightened times it may not always be feasible.

That said i always include a disclaimer when i upgrade a gravity system to pressurised.......if i don't fit it then i am not responsible for leaks....i will fix them but there chargeable.....most customers accept the inevitable and replace the old pipes. Especially when the F & R are 15mm or 1/2inch and i explain 22mm is best

But what do you do when the floors are hardwood parquet? Had one job this year with solid oak, and one which was some sort of tropical hardwood. £400 to replace the pipe, £3000 to replace the floor. :eek:

Then there isn 't much you can do.....but if it leaked it is going to have to come up surely......unless you could do a new run (drop) and cap off old li ne?

If the place was empty, I would almost always recommend new pipes, as very few existing installations are done well. Pipes close together, unprotected under the floor boards, unnecessary long runs etc. etc. and you can never get them completely clean.

The problem is that most people leave it til the boiler packs up or the system is leaking like sieve, or seriously blocked. At that time the floors are carpeted (if you are lucky) and the whole place full of stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back