Can you help me wire these lights? diagram provided.

if he turns off all the other light switches in the house except the one he's looking for, with the breaker off he wouldn't get continuity off anything but the switchwire he's looking for..

no offence to the OP, but I don't think we should be encouraging guys who can't wire a light circuit to find a cable that is live..

it's on a similar par to the electricians secrets like "touch it to see if it's live" or my favourite " short it out and see which one blows " to find which breaker a circuit is off..

Sponsored Links
Guys,
all of you have been most helpful.
I did test just for the switch wire with a continuity tester by switching the light switch on and of and identified the switchwire. Guess what, it bloody well works. Marvelous im indebted to you all.
Sparky although your suggestion was perfectly ok for anyone with know how i just didnt feel safe for testing with the power on, i would have employed a technician if that was the case, i just know my limitations and i can be a numpty sometimes. The other way probably took longer but hey, i dont mind it works.

Ta for all your prompt help.

Now if any anyone has computer probs, be it operating system advice, computer build advice or even software, im your man (figurativley of course).Or if you need a website ;).....

This forum is absolutley fantastic and more important it works.

Kudos to you all.

many regards
chris

for some reason my laptop seems to run a copy of internet explorer in the background when it boots up...
no mention of it in the task bar and i only know it's there because i use taskmanager to shut down some of the crap that starts up with the machine ( quicktime taskbar etc.. )

any ideas why?

also, since the release of vista, my XP media center edition seems to be crashing more.... conspiracy by MS?????

First off you need to streamline your startup procedure. goto start > run > and type "msconfig" ,goto the startup tab and uncheck what you dont require running as a startup process, if your unsure dont uncheck.

Next grab a copy of hijackthis from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html and remove any hooks or IE objects that you dont need.

next download spybot for free update it and run it.

If you find you still have some hooks or bad objects and cant remove them run you machine in safe mode (restart, pressing F8, start in safe mode and try again.

This will pretty much clean your machine, however if you run the task manager be sure not to confuse Explorer.exe with Iexplorer.exe.

As for the media centre, no lol i dont think its a conspiracy. ;).

If this doesnt work email me your hijackthis list and i will send you some reg cleaning instructions, but this should be fine.

Actually been trialing Vista for the last 8 months, and my views are well.....lets just say divided.

have fun :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back