Can you help me wire these lights? diagram provided.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please look at the pic on www.ldistudios.com/switch.jpg
Heres what im looking to do, remove switch 1 altogether and just have switch 2 switching both lights on and off.
The history of this is that switch 1 used to be a 2 gang which controlled both lights, switch 2 was a single that only controlled light 2.

So.. i have removed the switches and the lights and i now have what you see in the pic.
I have ideas how to do this, however would rather have the view of someone more accomplished.

so heres a few questions for ya:-
1. what wires do i blank/connect for switch 1 to become redundant.
2. what wires do i connect to a 2 gang on switch 2 (3 terminas l1 l2 l3).
3.The reds and blacks for the light fitting? red =live, black=neutral?.
4. none of the black leads have any red tape on.

The winner gets unlimited computer Hardware/graphic design help for a life :) (this is my speciality.

Thanks in advance, hope you can help.
regards

chris

Sponsored Links
chrismdac said:
Please look at the pic on www.ldistudios.com/switch.jpg
Heres what im looking to do, remove switch 1 altogether and just have switch 2 switching both lights on and off.
The history of this is that switch 1 used to be a 2 gang which controlled both lights, switch 2 was a single that only controlled light 2.

So.. i have removed the switches and the lights and i now have what you see in the pic.
I have ideas how to do this, however would rather have the view of someone more accomplished.

so heres a few questions for ya:-
1. what wires do i blank/connect for switch 1 to become redundant.
2. what wires do i connect to a 2 gang on switch 2 (3 terminas l1 l2 l3).
3.The reds and blacks for the light fitting? red =live, black=neutral?.
4. none of the black leads have any red tape on.

The winner gets unlimited computer Hardware/graphic design help for a life :) (this is my speciality.

Thanks in advance, hope you can help.
regards

chris

:confused: Did you note what went where before removing EVERYTHING?

I did but unfortunatly my wife shredded all the paperwork so im a bit in the dark (excuse the pun). It sort of makes sense, the 3 core is a link wire i rekon and the black and red is a switched live?. as for the light fittings, no idea :(

you will need to identify the switch wires at the fitting. The switch seems like both reds in com and both blacks in L1, but you need a multimeter

Sponsored Links
also can you clarify your original switch setup and what you want your switches to do when you are done?

switch 1 controlled light 1 and light 2 on a 2 gang, switch 2 only controlled light 2on a single switch

plus the light fitting on light 1had 3 black (connected together) 3 reds( connected together and an earth.

However light 2 had 2 red connected together, yet in the connector block for the 2 blacks and the earth it seems as though the blacks and the earth were all in seperate non-connected terminals.

I'm struggling to picture this, some pictures would help, if you can.

Not sure if you want to remove switch 1 altogether or just blank it off.

However, you need to disconnect all wires from both switches to start.

(power down & make a note of what goes where so you can return the wiring to the original set-up if required).

Then: at switch 1, link the switch wire that goes to the lamp to the red of the 3 core.

At switch 2, take the live feed of the T&E to the common, then the switchwire of light 2 (the other core of the T&E) to L1, along with the newly connected red of the 3C cable.

Then, both lights will come on together from switch 2.

What you do if you want to get rid of the box of switch 1, i'm not sure!!!

EDIT:

That's what you do with the switchwires, I didn't realise you'd taken down the fittings as well.

Here's what you do.

First, put your wife into the shredder.

Next, ID the switchwires. Get a multimeter set to continuity. It beeps when you short the probes.

Put these on the red/black pairs at the ceiling. Next, rescue your screaming wife from the shredder & ask her to

A: stop bleeding
B: stop snivelling
C: operate the switches for you.

You will then tell which of the red/black pairs at the ceiling positions are connected to the switches.

The red of the T&E to the switch then goes with the other reds(which should be live loop (in/out)). The blacks of the other reds are neutrals & the black of the wire that goes to the switch is the switchwire (sleeve with red sleeving).

Does this make sense??

in the following, switches marked L1, L2 and L3 are shown in normal text, switches marked COM, L1 and L2 are shown in brackets..

ok.. from what i can tell...

light 2 has...

Live in (red)
Live out to switch ( red )
Neutral in ( black )
switched live from switch 2 ( black.. ought to have red sleeving.. )

switch 2 has ...

Live ( red 2 core ) into L2 ( L1 )
switched live ( black 2 core ) into L3 ( L2 )

switch 2 also has a 3 core and earth running to switch 1 gang 1. connections for 3 core at both switches..

red from 3 core into L1 ( or COM ),
yellow ( with red from 2 core in switch 2 ) into L2 ( or L1 ),
blue ( with black from 2 core in switch 2 ) into L3 ( or L2 ).

Light 1 has ...

Live in ( red )
Live out ( red )
Live to switch 1 ( red )

Neutral in ( black )
Neutral out ( black )
Switched live from switch 1 ( black , ought to have red sleeve. )

switch 1 gang 2 has

live in ( red ) into L1 ( or COM )
Switched live out ( black , ought to have red sleeve ) into L2 ( or L1 )

to do away with switch 1, and convert switch 2 to 2 gang...

in switch 1

connect red (2 core ) to red (3 core ) in switch 1 box ( using connectors )

connect black (2core ) to yellow ( 3 core ) in switch 1 box ( using connectors and sleeving them red.. )

put blue (3 core ) in it's own connector block in switch 1 box and blank it off ( or remove all cables into roof / ceiling and connect there with a junction box if you intend to physically remove the switch )

in switch 2

connect red (2 core ) into L1 ( COM ) of switch 2 gang 1
connect black (2 core ) into L2 ( L1 ) of switch 2 gang 1 ( sleeving red please .. )

connect red (3 core ) into L1 ( COM ) of switch 2 gang 2
conect yellow (3 core ) into L2 ( L1 ) of switch 2 gang 2 ( sleeving red please .. )

lights should not need touching...

ok, misread what he wanted.. the way above is fine, but means 2 swithes at switch 2, one for each light ( best way if you ask me, can turn one or the other off... )

to have both on one switch, simply do as above, but put both reds into L1 ( COM ) and the black and yellow ( sleeved red please ) into L2 ( L1 ) of one switch..

sparkdude you did reply however, i got a bit confused and you had work to do so i did not want to bother you, i also revised my diagram etc to make it more clear.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back