stairs lighting switches

There is an E there followed by what looks like an O but

what difference does it make?
The terminals are all the same except one is a single.

FFS don't confuse the OP any further.

Sponsored Links
Electrically, none.
The fact that it is an earth terminal, marked as E for earth and has lives going to it is just plain poor.
When it is replaced it should be corrected as a matter of course as some E terminals are not fully insulated.

Here is what one of those Ashley roses should look like, the single terminal is marked loop in and has extra insulation in the form of a red plastic tube. The terminal is also much more enclosed by the plastic moulding. This will of course have no effect on the OPs fault.
Rose.jpg

You need a multimeter!
And some &(!"&£$^£(@#@| knowledge.

I'm not going to read through the next 2½ pages of nonsense, with all of you numpties shamefully, callously and dangerously aiding and abetting someone in trial-and-error, electrics-by-guesswork, please-blindly-follow-instructions-to-put-this-wire-in-that-hole-without-a-clue-as-to-why madness.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL?

Sponsored Links
Loking at the state of the ceiling rose, i wonder if water has leaked through, gone in the lampholder and simply blown the live wire off the lampholder terminal, causing the light to stop working

I was considering asking whether this "power cut" coincided with someone getting out of the bath....

5 pages and i didn't want to make it to 6, so i am going to watch Australian GP live.
if by 10 pages you haven't sorted OP's problem I will have to come in.

(BTW endecopt, more liek someone diving into a tub full of water, think of Archimedes.)

Perhaps he was intimating that you had partaken of the fiery waters which loosened up your fingers?

Using a multimeter I am getting no reading from either of the tests Echo the Husky has suggested.

OK. That suggests a break in the supply to that light fitting, most probably at the previous fitting, wherever that is.

As (I think Echo) said, it is best to start looking at the nearest fitting. Which one it will be depends on how the circuit was originally cabled.

The 2 nearest are the lounge and the upstairs light, how do I know which is the previous light?

Perhaps he was intimating that you had partaken of the fiery waters which loosened up your fingers?
No - I think you'll find that my views on facilitating ignorant fiddling with electrical wiring are consistent, and do not relate to outside influences.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back