HELLLLLLP Plz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please!!!
I am trying to replace a plastic 2 gang switch with a flush metal one my wife found. Can't do it for love nor money.
The old one has 3 connectors at the top.
From left to right
Com L2 L1
3 at the bottom
L2 L1 Com
There is a black wire with a red sheath into Com at top left and a red wire into L1 at top right.
At the bottom a red wire into Com with a red wire bridging bottom com with L1.
The new switch has 2 connectors at the top - both labeled Com and 4 at the bottom labeled from the left
1 way 2 way 1 way 2 way.
One switch operates the ceiling lights and the other a couple of downlighters. Can anyone please tell me which wires go where??
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Just treat L1 & L2 as 1way & 2way, the old one is 2 switces inverted, the new one is 2 swiches mounted the same way. Before you start ensure you have enough room in the back box as flush sitches sometimes need a deeper box. Also you will need to earth the faceplate

Hi Smithfield,

If I understand what you have right, the following is what you need to do:

The existing Red into the bottom right Com will now go to the Com on top right.

The short length bridging the bottom com with L1 should now bridge the two Com connectors at the top, from right to left.

The Black with red sheath should then go into the 1 Way connector at bottom left.

The remaining red wire that was into L1 top right will now go into 1 Way bottom right.

So you will have nothing in the 2 way connectors, one cable in each of the 1 way connectors, the bridging connector between the COM and a red cable into the right com (which is your incoming mains live so do this with the breaker off..)

Because you are switching to a metal plate, you should also ensure there is an earth available, which should connect to the earth tag on the new switch. A short length of earth should then go to the back box if it is metal.

There may be no earth connected at the moment, which wasn't a problem since it was a plastic switch (although a metal back box should still have been earthed) but you will need one now. If the cables are run in normal PVC twin and earth then it may well have been cut back but you may be able to pull enough through. You should also check that the earth is connected at the other end (either the light fitting or possible a junction box).

Hope that helps, feel free to come back if you are unsure.

Gavin

damn, too slow :D

At least we agree!

I suggested bridging the Com - Com only because the existing bridge cable may be short and may now not reach Com to 1 Way, but either will work.

Gavin

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back