stairs lighting switches

Looking at the picture of the two gang switch and comparing it to your description of how things were connected, it would appear you have moved the red conductor down to the common on the r/h (as seen from the rear) set of terminals.

Is that right?

It appears there was a wire in the top r/h terminal which has snapped off. Was this belonging to the conductor you moved?

Are there any other lights in the house that do not work?

Sponsored Links
Looking at the picture of the two gang switch and comparing it to your description of how things were connected, it would appear you have moved the red conductor down to the common on the r/h (as seen from the rear) set of terminals.

Is that right?

It appears there was a wire in the top r/h terminal which has snapped off. Was this belonging to the conductor you moved?

Are there any other lights in the house that do not work?
Yes I moved the red wire down from L1 to common, the piece remaining in the L2 belonged to the black wire which I moved into L1, all the other lights work

To eliminate a damaged switch, try putting (with power safely isolated) both the wires you have moved into the same terminal.

If the light no longer comes on, there are two possible scenarios I can think of:

1. There is another switch for the non-working light somewhere.

I think this is unlikely as that would mean piggy-backing a feed from the common for the upstairs light which appears to be on the first floor circuit.

2. There is a break in the circuit between the non-working ceiling rose (or fitting/ junction box) and the switch.

You would need to investigate this.

Sponsored Links
Putting both wires into the same terminal has no effect, using a borrowed mains tester screwdriver there appears to be no power going to the red wire for the downstairs light

Those screwdrivers are not the best. Have you got (or can you borrow) a multimeter?

I'm guessing a loose connection is to blame, probably at the fitting.

I suppose you only have one switch for this fitting?

I'm struggling to see how it would have worked with both wires in L1 and L2.
Unless that is not the switch for that light of course!

It's unlikely that a power cut would have caused a wire to come out of one hole on the back of a switch and into another.

Put all the wires back how they were originally - if you can remember how that was - and look elsewhere for the problem.

You said that you checked the bulb. How exactly did you do that?

Maybe post photos of the light and of your consumer unit (fuse box).

The bulb was checked by placing it in the upstairs light fitting, when I get chance I will check the light fitting, I completely forgot that after the power cut the bottom switch had some browning so I replaced it before using it again, placing all the wires in the same places led to the light at the bottom not working, so not a broken switch.

Yes I moved the red wire down from L1 to common, the piece remaining in the L2 belonged to the black wire which I moved into L1, all the other lights work

endecotp: The wires were put into L1 and L2 when the switch was replaced. It is unlikely any image taken of the original set-up survives, if indeed it was.

If it is a one way switch, putting red and black into L1 and L2 will not make any connection.

Damien: Have we established there is only one switch for the non-working light?

Here is a photo of the light fitting.

Attachments

• 20160319_114830.jpg
    20160319_114830.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 115
I must say I am putting my pennies on it being a combination of a mis-wired switch and a break in the circuit.

How many reds are there at the ceiling rose?

There is only one switch, definitely, for the bottom light, however looking at the fitting there appears to be a standard grey 3 core cable, consisting of a red, a black and an earth wire, and one more red wire in a grey sleeve, I would agree to the break in the circuit theory.

Looks like it could be a junction box installation.

Are both red wires connected to the live terminal for the lampholder?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back