2-Gang Swtich 2 Lights Wiring Problem

It could be that originally there was just a single light in the room with 2-way switching. At some point, somebody changed it to two lights and pulled in the extra black, with one of the 2-way switching points being abandoned either at the same time or later.

Sponsored Links
You are correct the black is a single run into the attic for the 2nd light. am still unsure what blue wire is?

Although it works the 2nd light is very dim suggesting something is not right.

The presence of black as well poses a question in my mind of how that's run though. I have a feeling that if you look at where it disappears through the box that it might just be a single which somebody has pulled in later to provide the second light.

We'll soon find out if the OP comes back to say that one or more of the other lights on the circuit has stopped working :p

You are correct the black is a single run into the attic for the 2nd light. am still unsure what blue wire is?

Although it works the 2nd light is very dim suggesting something is not right.

Then it's not right.

Paul C could be right about the wiring originally serving 2 way switching.

Please send photos of again inside the switch, inside both lights, and all relevent junction boxes in the loft.

Another clue - were any ends of the switch wires 'doubled' over?
Can you safely confirm which wire at the switch is permanantly live?

Sponsored Links
I can't get into the attic at the moment, but the RED Wire is Live using a mains tester screwdriver.

The White wire was doubled over as was the Blue Wire.

Another point, the Blue Wire trips the fuse if connected to the the White Wire terminal.

I will have to get more pictures once I have got into the attic.

Thanks

Not sure how you last tried to wire it.
Logic suggests

Switch one
red to common
white to L1

Switch two
black to L1

Short piece of wire between both commons

Blue in a separate piece of connector block.

Appologies if you have already tried this.
Work safely.

I can't get into the attic at the moment, but the RED Wire is Live using a mains tester screwdriver.

Wish you'd mention that before :rolleyes:

Having said that touching white and black together caused the light to come on, I had assumed that white was live. However, you've probably ended up with some strange series connection and, as a result, the lights are dim. The wiring as suggested above will probably work, but it still doesn't explain how it ever could have worked before without a link wire.

Thank you to Matthew and Sparkwright.

Sorry for not providing the other info 1st, I have followed the above and both lights are operating independantly well. I have spurred off the blue wire and taped it off!

Thanks again for your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back