Can you identify these central heating controls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have no knowledge about central heating other than we have a boiler (just over 10 years old), a hot water tank and numerous radiators.

I just don't think our heating is as good as it should be. There is also a noise throughout the house that comes from the radiators and is also the same noise heard from the hot water tank. It's hard to explain but it's always been there. like running water through the pipes I guess?

Anyway, in the pics you can see various controls in the airing cupboard along with the hot water tank. Can anyone identify them?

This has a small lever type thing that moves from side to side.

Looks like a temperature control but have no idea what is should be set to.

All the wires from the tank and controls go into this.

I'm guessing this is a pump. It has a control on the side with settings 1, 2, and 3.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
The top two are danfoss motorised valves,next cylinder stat set to 60*c.next a simple wiring centre,and last a pump with what looks like a detatched electrical assembly that requires attention as it is a possible shock hazard.

The top two are danfoss motorised valves,next cylinder stat set to 60*c.next a simple wiring centre,and last a pump with what looks like a detatched electrical assembly that requires attention as it is a possible shock hazard.

Thanks for the response.

The motorised valves... what happens when I slide it to the other side?
The cylinder stat is set to 75. What should this be set to?
Yes, the assembly is detached and needs looking at but what to the three settings do?

Thanks,

You will manually move the valve to mid position. No need to use that unless you are draining/refilling

55deg is an average

Yes, the assembly is detached and needs looking at but what to the three settings do?
Speed settings (laymans terms) 1 - slow, 2 - medium, 3 - fast

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
You will manually move the valve to mid position. No need to use that unless you are draining/refilling

55deg is an average

Speed settings (laymans terms) 1 - slow, 2 - medium, 3 - fast

Thanks,

The speed is currently set to 2. Should I just try the other settings to see ii makes any difference?
Could it be the pump or the boiler that is causing the noise when the central heating is on?

Thanks,

Noise is most likely air.

By all means try the other speeds. On 1 the rads will be slower to heat but may be quieter. On 3 you may find the noise is worse/more noticable.

Noise is most likely air.

By all means try the other speeds. On 1 the rads will be slower to heat but may be quieter. On 3 you may find the noise is worse/more noticable.

OK, thanks. In regards to air, would I be able to resolve that or would I need an engineer out?

Thanks,

Check you have water in the header tank. Try bleeding the radiators. Are there any air bleeds in the airing cupboard? Often near the HW tank.

Check you have water in the header tank. Try bleeding the radiators. Are there any air bleeds in the airing cupboard? Often near the HW tank.

I will check the water tank (header tank?) in the loft tomorrow.

I cant hear any air escaping in the airing cupboard if that's what you mean?

Ive just read that if the pump housing is hot then its a good sign it needs replacing.

I also read that central heating noise could be air in the pump and needs bleeding?

Pumps are always hot when they are on.

You can try to bleed the pump, rarely air in the pump when its fitted on that orientation though.

I decided to change the setting on the pump. It was on 2 and the noise was there. On 1 and 3 the noise went but the heating stopped and the boiler went off.
I've put back on setting 2 and the noise is sort of there but eh boiler pilot light is not working now... and it's getting cold!

Any idea's?

Thanks,

what boiler is it? I'd get that pump changed tbh. Those cp pumps are dogpoo. Noisy out the box and get worse. Usually know its on its way out cos if you put it to speed 1 it just stops.

what boiler is it? I'd get that pump changed tbh. Those cp pumps are dogpoo. Noisy out the box and get worse. Usually know its on its way out cos if you put it to speed 1 it just stops.

Hi, its a Glow Worm Ultimate.

I figured out why it wasnt turning back in... the overheat cutoff button had flicked. Pushed this back in and on it came. However, it now just keep turning back off again after a minute. If I wait a few minutes I can press the button again and on it will come... for a minute!

Am I screwed? Do I need an engineer? It f'in freezing!

You need a new Grundfos pump :idea: you could DIY if you`re confident ;) You don`t need a Gas Safe engineer to change the pump :idea: Any competent plumber can do it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back