Can you notch/ drill into a flitch beam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just notched my joists to allow a reroute of my central heating. However, the last joist turned out to be a flitch beam ( as just suggested by someone helpful in the plumbing forum).

Re routing over or under it would be a complete nightmare as it runs the full width of the house. Is it possible to notch or drill a hole in the beam to allow the CH pipes though or am I just going to have to go over it?

Sponsored Links
As the beam will contain a steel plate, notching it will be difficult if you hit the steel. Drilling holes through it should be OK for load bearing but difficult to do. You will need an annular cutter or a tank cutter. Drill the hole right through the centre of the beam (top to bottom) as it does not weaken the beam. So a couple of 16/23 mm holes spaced by 3"? Will you be able to thread your pipes through the holes?
Frank

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I agree that, in principle, it should be ok, given that the steel plate has holes in it for the bolts and electric cables. I've got Starrett cutters at work and, although it would be a major faff, I think it's doable.

However, I'm going to proceed with caution. A friend of a friend is a surveyor so I'm going to consult with them before I do anything, one way or the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back