Can you paint over water based eggshell with matt emulsion as was incorrectly supplied with wrong paint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Any help on the following matter will be much appreciated. I purchased 2x Dulux Heritage velvet matt emulsion to paint our lounge. Collected the paint from a well known paint company with printed labels on each stating as it was mixed, velvet matt, DH Slate. Invoice stated the same. On completing the first coat the next day I began the second coat. I opened the second tin a quarter through the second coat. Once finished I thought the paint was looking slightly different but put it down to the drying process. After a few hours the paint looked the same, totally different to the first coat. Closer examination on what’s printed on the dulux tins themselves it stated one was velvet matt and the second one which I used for the second coat was eggshell! Obviously I will be going back to the store informing them of what has happened and hopefully a solution will be found. In the meanwhile I would like to know if it’s possible to paint over a water based eggshell that states it’s for interior wood and metal with a matt emulsion or will there be prep work required?

I have added pictures of the cans but smudging out the store details. I have also added pictures of the difference in the paints.

Had a very little amount of dulux heritage and painted over a small section. Left over night and seems to of taken ok but is slightly darker. Maybe two coats will even colours out? Photo attached.

Look forward to any insight on this matter.

Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back