Can you recommend tool for plaster and steel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a tool to remove plaster (solid, very) and metal straps (steel, I think) from old windows, can you recommend anything? Tried angle grinder and it cut plaster ok, but very messy and it just created sparks on the steel!

Sponsored Links
Wide spade/bolster or scutch bit on an SDS for plaster.

I don't really understand the problem with removing metal straps. That should be obvious.

Thanks, will try that.

For the straps, they're screwed to wall in the reveal, the screw heads are rusted so I can't unscrew them but they're still very well attached to the wall, can't prise them off and they're too close to the wall to cut the screws.

If you can't get a grinder in (9in?), try a recip saw with a metal or demolition blade. As ^woody^ says, though, they normally just pry off

Sponsored Links
Most useful thing for straps and cats ... apparently :rolleyes:

Bosch GWS 12v. Or the Lidl version when on offer (y)

1654081136943.png

But yes, any wall fixing should be able to be levered off.

Or slice the fixing head off with a few bangs from a sharp cold chisel

Or get a hacksaw blade in

left handed drill bits in a reversible drill, as you drill down the shaft it loosens the screw and they should just back out on you, if not, at least you have all the heads off and you can remove the strap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back