What tool to use to cut a notch in a steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hifi rack made from steel beams, see below. I'd like to cut a few notches to improve my cable management. I'd use a file but space for running a file back and forth is restricted so I thought it might be an idea to use a tool like a rasp drill bit that fits for into a cordless drill. It's pretty thick steel. What tool would you recommend that would do the job?

IMG_20210501_144247378.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A multi tool or jig saw, with suitable metal cutting blades, even a hacksaw though it will take a long time. If it is high tensile steel, a grinder.

Blup

A multi tool or jig saw, with suitable metal cutting blades, even a hacksaw though it will take a long time. If it is high tensile steel, a grinder.

Blup

Is like to cut a notch where the red dot is. A saw or a file might not work and will take ages. A grinder would work but I don't have one. Is there a specific bit that fits in a drill that could grind a notch?

IMG_20210501_144247378~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_144247378~2.jpg
    IMG_20210501_144247378~2.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Is like to cut a notch where the red dot is. A saw or a file might not work and will take ages. A grinder would work but I don't have one. Is there a specific bit that fits in a drill that could grind a notch?

View attachment 244487

You will need a grinder, mains grinders are cheaper than cordless. A milling bit won't work.

Blup

Why not drill a hole?

Or two, or several, and if need be, square it off with a file

Why not drill a hole?

Or two, or several, and if need be, square it off with a file
Holes drilled. It came out ok in the end. Glad I didn't have to use a grinder which could have been messy in a small space and expensive equipment close by. Going to get a rasp tomorrow. Any of the rasps sold in Screwfix any good? Happy to get it elsewhere if I can get a better one that will cut into the steel more easily

Last edited:
They are files. If your intention is to turn a round hole into a square one, aren't they going to be too big?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back