cutting steel flats and angle iron

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm constructing some racks in my garage and will need to cut some 3mm mild steel (flats and angle, probably 30-40mm widths). Assuming (rashly) I measure it all right first time, I probably need to make about 15-20 cuts.

Is this a job for a hacksaw and some elbow grease or would most people use an angle grinder?

I may well be getting the steel from a local fabricator down the road, and I'm sure they'd cut it for me, but where's the fun in that?

I'll also need to drill it, and I'm planning on getting one of those drill stands that you can find your corded drill to. Are they any good, or should I fork out for a decent pillar drill?

Sponsored Links
B&Q have got 25% off Ryobi, Bosch and B&D tools at the moment. Get down there and pick yourself up a small 125mm grinder. Plus some thin cutting discs and some safety glasses.

I have the B&D KG915, which they have for about £26, it's 900w so will do for cutting up slabs and other stuff too. There is a noticable power difference between higher wattage and the lower 500-700w models.

Never used one of the drill stands but drilling 3mm angle iron shouldn't need it, just use a punch or smaller drill bit to start your hole. You will need a vice or good clamp though to hold the workpiece.

4.5" Grinder and a few good quality thin discs will do a treat.

Wouldnt take much to saw it with a good blade though if you wanted to save yourself £25+
You could cut a few then do something else for 10 mins while your arm rests!!!

The trick is to use qulaity blades, such as Bahco Bi-metal ones.

Again, it will drill easily, without a pillar drill, clamp it to the edge of a workmate or bench or something.
Centrepunching the holes will make life easy, as will a good quality drill bit. Your only drilling 8-10mm holes i gather?
Keep the fairly speed slow and use some oil every few holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back