Which angle grinder to cut metal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut up an old central heating radiator (big) in order to get it down two flights of stairs.

I have never needed an angle grinder before and probably won't again so does anyone have a recomendation for a cheap grinder suitable for cutting a radiator ? Would a 115 mm be ok with a suitable cutting disc?

As you can gather I am not looking for longevity, if it survives long enough to chop up the radiator I will be happy.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it a pressed steel panel radiator (single or double), or a cast iron radiator?
If cutting with a disc, make sure you don't set fire to anything with the sparks.
A 115mm grinder with suitable disc should be adequate, you can always sell it on ebay when finished with it, used once.

Wotan

Unfortunately no chance of getting it out of the window, it is on the second floor, it is a 2.5 metre long double radiator and it would take ten men to just lift it window height (maybe a bit of an exaggeration)

Sponsored Links
Hire one, should be cheaper than buying one, depending on your access to tool hire shops of course. Nip off the four connections between the two panels, that'll halve the weight you need to carry with minimal effort. If you still need to reduce it cut them in half top to bottom. Be aware that cutting them up with almost certainly make a huge amount of mess as the inevitably black water inside them sprays everywhere...

make sure you DRAIN the rad completely otherwise black water will pour out every where guaranteed bucket under one side open valve dont forget to take the air bleed screw out after a few pints has drained out as this if left in position will cause an air lock which when the air does go in will splash everywhere

as you say the cutter is a one trip only so go to the What shop any cheap tool supplier and get a metal cutting disc for your 115mm you can get i think 4 in a pack for about a fiver. cut from one side then turn it over do the otherside

I was in a fix once and got a 4.5inch grinder for b&q for about 10 or 15 quid. It did the job it was intended for but died shortly after. For grinding tasks I expect it would last reasonably well but I could hear it pleading for mercy when cutting 6mm steel

did you have the correct disc in for cutting you do need a cutting disc the shops sell disc cutters with a grinding disc not a cutting disc

I've managed to fold an old ?8ft? long radiator by exploiting all the leverage I could get on it by going from one end.

To cut up a radiator, and not do a lot else, you could use a dirt cheap 110mm.

I've had millions of angle grinders.

One of the grinders, a 110mm Bosch, I was disappointed with. Bosch is supposed to be really reliable. Not long after getting it, it started going.

When I opened it, there was no way to repair it.

Generally, I tend to buy the most powerful one I can find, since I don't like standing around for half an hour with one when I've got a lot to do.

For one or two bits like a radiator, go cheapo.

The others are right however, it is likely going to make a lot of mess, so I wouldn't do that if the room has been decorated.

Even a cheap angle grinder is a bit much just to move a rad.

Try bending it first, get two guys on it. If you can kink it near the middle, it will bend much more easily (if it's a double thickness rad, I wouldn't bother). You may be able to encourage it to kink by smacking a line down the middle with a cold chisel or something similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back