What size angle grinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to cut up some old steel panel central heating radiators to help with disposal and thought this would be an ideal time to get myself an angle grinder, possibly used from ebay etc. Is this a job for a larger 9" disc machine or would a smaller one still do the job? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Too much aggravation if you ask me.
Contact any scrap metal collector and they'll take them away for free.
The mess that you'd make when cutting them would be massive.

Trouble is that my local scrappie said the value of scrap is so low that its not worth the mile drive to pick them up? They said the same about a bath I took out. Still, based on what you have said about the aggro cutting them up, I might try another scrappie as I would rather not have to chop them up.

Trouble is that my local scrappie said the value of scrap is so low that its not worth the mile drive to pick them up? They said the same about a bath I took out. Still, based on what you have said about the aggro cutting them up, I might try another scrappie as I would rather not have to chop them up.
Place an ad on local FB group, theres mostly people on there who will pick up for free if you leave it by the gate.

Sponsored Links
I want to cut up some old steel panel central heating radiators to help with disposal and thought this would be an ideal time to get myself an angle grinder, possibly used from ebay etc. Is this a job for a larger 9" disc machine or would a smaller one still do the job? Thanks.

A 125mm is probably the most useful size, in a small angle grinder to have, but there should be no need to cut them up - around here, you just put stuff out by the gate and the roving scrap collectors will take them in a day or so.

Some of our local scrap collectors will come in and take the rads off the walls for free. All you need to do is go out for an hour or so.

A cheap 100/125mm will do. Use thin metal discs.

A 125mm is probably the most useful size, in a small angle grinder to have, but there should be no need to cut them up - around here, you just put stuff out by the gate and the roving scrap collectors will take them in a day or so.

If you have difficulty getting them collected, stack them close to the road, with a sign saying "For sale, £10 each, please knock" and they will be gone by morning

Here in London, if you left them outside, they would be gone in hours.

Years ago, I use an angle grinder to cut up a customer's cast iron bath to get it out of the bathroom (I was unable to use a sledge hammer). That evening, I went home and bathed. In the morning, my own bath was full of rust specks.

As above end of drive they will dissappear!
Certainly in South York's you have hardly time to get tools out before 2 lively lads in a transit pick up are asking 'any old scrap mate?'

Last edited:
our scapper said if you leave on front garden, they would collect when passing / in area , otherwise not worth a special trip, just for 1 rad - took over 2 weeks before they did pickup , thats was earlier this year
but i have got rid of a load of stuff on freecycle , stuff that i had planned for the dump, most picked up within about 24 hours
use freecycle now all the time rather than making the trip to the dump (20+mile round trip)

I have a bloke collecting a load of scrap metal tomorrow, he's even gonna hoof it all down from the garden to retrieve it all, he gets paid for the scrap but saves me the hassle. I've looked at freecycle a few times but it literally seems dead around here now, it's all marketplace now.

I have a bloke collecting a load of scrap metal tomorrow, he's even gonna hoof it all down from the garden to retrieve it all, he gets paid for the scrap but saves me the hassle. I've looked at freecycle a few times but it literally seems dead around here now, it's all marketplace now.

I recently worked for a guy that was having his wiring and plumbing sorted. The scrap guy was bending down to pick up 20mm off cuts of T&E as he walked around the property.

All collected this morning, saved me a day's work cutting bits down to manageable sizes and filling up the car to take to the dump etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back