Angle grinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Angle grinder? I have 2 jobs to do, one is chasing in electrics, the other is building a small, low wall in the garden. I suspect that an angle grinder would be helpful with the chasing, and indespensible for the brick cutting. My problem is that I have a very limited budget, and I doubt that I will use the grinder once the 2 jobs are done. Is there any reason why I should not buy the very cheapest I have found, 'Toolstation's own Silverline brand, which is only £12.72 plus vat for the 115mm. The motor is only 550w, but as I said, it doesn't have to last that long. Also, never having used an angle grinder before, could you advise on appropriate discs, for cutting housebricks, and dressing them to give a slightly rounded top edge?

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
I would not try to cut bricks with a small one like that. You should find Screwfix do a very reasonable 9" one. I bought one of these and have done plenty of jobs with it. Just looking in the book and found 49419-77 but I know mine was quite a bit cheaper than that as they always have offers on.

I would use a hammer and bolster for the electrics, if you use a grinder you will have dust all over the place and you can't see very well, makes a right mess.

Smaller than 9 inch grinder will be a waste of time and cost to much in discs.

You should consider hiring a wall chaser and good grinder if its a one off job.

Wouln't bother with the angle grinder for either job, it soooo messy. Brick bolster and lump hammer for cutting bricks. SDS plus drill and chasing bit for the walls or hire the proper kit with extraction facilites as D&J suggest.

Sponsored Links
Hire a chase cutter,save yourself a bundle of time, but check for existing wiring/plumbing before use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back