Angle Grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking at buying an angle grinder, as I am sick of borrowing one...

I would be using it for allsorts such as cutting bricks/paving flags, chasing,
car maintenance etc

My dillema is that two wholesalers near me both have specials on angle grinders and I can get a 9" and a 4.5" for the same price.

Which would you recommend??

Sponsored Links
For anything you try to do on a car, short of cutting it in half, a 9 inch grinder is going to be too big. For metalworking applications, or fiddly tile cuts, a 4.5 inch is perfect. If you want to cut bricks or slabs, you need a 9 inch, unless you want to spend all day at it!

Decide what your MAIN requirement is, and buy accordingly. I have a blue Bosch for metalworking (as I use it a lot) and a cheapie 9 inch that I use once a year.

When all's said and done, angle grinders are *NOT* dear - you can pick up a halfway decent one for not a lot of money, and if you're only gonna use each one five times a year, you can probably get one of each for sixty quid!

M

I would go for a good qaulity 4.5", when cutting slabs, you only need score them, not cut right through.

Cheers for all the replies guys.

I've managed to pick up one of each complete with discs and carry case for only £30!

I know they're obviously cheapo make, but for the amount I use them and with a 2 year guarantee I don't s'pose it's too much of a concern.

Sponsored Links
Arrg,

too late!!!

I have been through several 9" grinders over the last 4 years and have found that the cheap (B&Q or Homebase) ones are only designed to last for about 4 hours total use time.

My most recent Bosch grinder has lasted me for 3 of those 4 years and is still going very strong and it only cost me £65 at the time. Belive me it gets a lot of use and I would recomend it to anyone.

However, if you are only going to use it on the odd occasion then you might find what you have got will last you a while :)

The cheapies that are made in China are getting pretty robust these days. Like the man said - if they can guarantee them for 2 years DIY use they can't be that bad. You only need use them twice to get your money's worth.

joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back